A good resonable update for graphics card

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

yetbutno

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2010
I have a XPS 410
Motherboard : DXP061
RAM: 2GIG DDR3
Vista
And right now i have a nvidia geforce 7300

right now i can play codmw2 at 800x600 and the graphics are just so bad. im looking for a card thats around 100 - 200$ that will allow me to play codmw2, assassins creed, or maybe even crysis at mid - high settings.

thanks

jesman1985

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
im honestly not seeing why he wouldnt be able to use this processor..its a LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor.. the same chipset and wattage as the processor he has now.. you may be right tho.. but im not catching it.. and the processor he has now would most definitely bottleneck him.. i just dont see a point in upgrading a video card that wont be able to be used..

The chipset is not something on a processor, it is on the motherboard. LGA 775 is the socket type and yes, they are the same but that doesn't mean his chipset can handle all LGA 775 processors and all front side bus speeds that they might use.
As I said earlier he definitely will be able to use a card like the HD5670 and it will be a massive improvement over his 7300. His current processor will bottleneck the card in more the CPU intensive current games which isn't optimal but it is no reason to think he MUST upgrade the processor to use the card.

No, bottlenecking will just limit the performance of your card on games that need more processing power until you upgrade it. It has nothing to do with the lifespan of any of your components.

jesman1985

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009

yes he will still be able to use the card.. but.. if he were to go just a little bit over his max of 200 bucks.. hed see sooo much more of an improvement than just an upgraded gpu.. and very good eye on the processor (major props).. i just REALLY want to see that processor upgraded.. :) it would turn his pc from just being able to play the games he want to killing the fps on the games he wants to play.

yetbutno

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2010
well, after what you jsut said, i think im goign to get a processor so i can own the fps on such games. the previously mentioned processor would that work on my motherboard?

Researching your computer more I've noticed that the XPS 410 uses a BTX case. This case only allows for single bracket video cards so don't get the HIS card. The Sapphire card may fit but it may not. It is single bracket card but a dual slot cooler. Often the CPU cooling shroud in those cases will prevent block a dual slot coolers although if they are centralized on the card it will probably fit. I can't tell just from looking at it whether the Sapphire card will fit in there. To be safe I would recommend this single slot XFX card;
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150466

jesman1985

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009

pleaasseeee get an updated processor.. trust me you wont regret it..

jesman1985

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009

i 2nd that.. itll cost more but you might as well

jesman1985

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
naaaa... i dont second that.. you can always get the other stuff youd need later down the road and salvage the parts your getting now.. to do what your asking go ahead and go with the hardware mentioned above..

bertimus

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2010
If you make decisions based off what you are salvaging from your sub-par machine, and you just keep upgrading for the next year, you are going to end up with a "less-good" system than had you just saved up for a couple more months and started over.

jesman1985

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009

hontestly it looks like im going to have to agree with jyjjy on this one.. your motherboard only allows you to upgrade to an e6700 and it wouldnt be that far off from what you have now.. if you were going to.. id suggest in all honesty.. just get you the video card and start saving for a new system build.. you could salvage your video card and ram depending on your new motherboard.. so in all honesty it wouldnt make since to get the e6700... just start saving to get a new system build going.. AND PLEASE!!!! dont buy a dell.. build it yourself.. but the new video card should hold do for now..

I cant believe everyone is saying buy a new processor an E6240, white its not a high end processor it will run those games just fine. Core 2's are solid chips. While I have a slightly better core 2 (E6750) I havent come close to max CPU utilization while playing games, my limiting factor is my 4870. I would say Get you self one of the ATi Card listed above and save money for a new computer down the road

Your board can handle a quad core like the Q6600 as I said earlier. It would be a decent, if expensive upgrade.
Just getting the card for now and saving up to build yourself a new system is probably a better idea though. Once again I would recommend the single slot HD5670 to be certain it will fit in your case.

Keep in mind your processor is clocked nearly 25% higher than his. Also from what you say I doubt you have been playing particularly CPU intensive games on your system and have been using a high resolution. That said his should be mostly capable if not ideal. If he could OC that would clear any problem right up but of course you can't OC on a Dell.

TRENDING THREADS