A GPU question that no one can answer. Can you?

JohnKlien

Reputable
Jun 15, 2015
I have called the manufacture and that cant answer me, I have call various tech stores and they have no idea, I have tried google and everything else with no luck. So maybe Toms Hardware can save me from this.
So here is an image of my GPU stats after playing the Witcher 3 for only 10 minutes.
Please take a look at all of the reading. One thing I notice is the clock speeds are maxed out... is this normal? The other thing is that the VRAM is so much higher than the actual card. Why is this?

Well for some reason I can not attach an image to this or add a URL...
Copy and paste all the following url together in the url bar for the link.

http://s1303.photobucket.com/

user/Jonhklien1234/media/Untitled_

zps6q0cqbkm.png.html?filters[user]=

142626336&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=0

Solution
Pictures loaded fine for me.

Not really sure what your question is. I don't see the card exceeding anything... All I can see from the picture is GTX 9..., either way, your GPU max memory reading was less then 2GB, GTX960 can have 2 or 4GB, GTX970 and GTX980 have 4GB, 980Ti has 6GB.

Yes, I would expect the clock frequency of the GPU to 'max out' to achieve the best possible performance.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Pictures loaded fine for me.

Not really sure what your question is. I don't see the card exceeding anything... All I can see from the picture is GTX 9..., either way, your GPU max memory reading was less then 2GB, GTX960 can have 2 or 4GB, GTX970 and GTX980 have 4GB, 980Ti has 6GB.

Yes, I would expect the clock frequency of the GPU to 'max out' to achieve the best possible performance.

Solution

JohnKlien

Reputable
Jun 15, 2015

So you are saying that 88c is normal for the VRAM?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
That isn't VRAM, that is VRM (Voltage Regulation Module) While not the best temperature ever, that is still well within spec and is a common enough temperature for VRMs over the last several generations.

If you want those lower you will need to add some cooling to them. (Even on reference cards they are sometimes not in contact with the heatsink and are cooled with air only.

JohnKlien

Reputable
Jun 15, 2015

oh awesome! I though they were VRAM all along. how do I view the VRAM temps? And thanks BTW

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
No one has mentioned EVGA or the older ACX cooler (There are generally two versions of the SC, one reference blower and one ACX in any given generation)

Again, we are not talking VRAM temperatures, but the circuit responsible for powering the GPU the VRM.

Might check MSI Afterburner for memory temperatures. Not a metric I have needed to track before. GPU temperature usually limits performance and/or overclocking before memory temperature.

JohnKlien

Reputable
Jun 15, 2015

No it is not EVGA. It is the newer Asus GTX 970 Strix edition

TRENDING THREADS