A Grandmother is the First to Get Super Wi-Fi

Status
Not open for further replies.
[citation][nom]virtualban[/nom]I hope she never runs into bandwidth caps.[/citation]

Well, i think the super wifi is community based. So..... its not just her you should be worried about bandwidth caps for.

G

In other news, lawmakers funded by Telecomm interests have introduced legislation to make super wi-fi illegal, saying that the increased availability of internet and potential carrier choice infringes on the telecomm industry's monopoly...

Mathos

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007
We've had something similar to this where I live in Marshall, TX. Unfortunately it's a local owned business, and the person who runs it charges far too much to make it reasonable for anyone who doesn't live outside of traditional broadband's distribution area to be worth while. It basically uses a directional antenna on the ~900Mhz range. The price here would be one thing if he were offering reasonably fast speeds, but its almost $80 for 1-1.5mbps

There has got to be a lot of hostility about this technology from other companies.

Example: If I had this available in my neighborhood I would NOT be paying $100 a month for Cable TV and internet to Charter. Charter would then either lose me as a customer or have to lower thier prices to compete.

Also, My phone can recieve WiFi. Why would I need a data plan if a WiFi signal was measured in miles? I currently don't have and don't want a data plan. I just connect to WiFi hotspots (at coffee shops, home and work for example). Hotspots are seem to be everywhere but now with WiFi soon to be more litterally almost everywhere I will never need a data plan and some day other people might realize they can just use a WiFi connection instead of paying for a data plan.

iubyont

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2009
I understand the reasoning behind multi-hop connections, but this is just getting to the point of ridiculousness. Most people have 2 telecom providers running fiber optic cable underneath their streets, but people can't get or can't afford internet because of waste caused by having to run 2 fiber optic lines instead of one, the price gouging attitude of these telecom firms, and the stupidity of the american gov't to not treat data communication like a semi-monopolistic public utility like energy.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
First off, 10Mbps is not enough for a shared connection. 10 users and you're down to 3G speeds, 100 users and we're talking ISDN. I think you get the picture.

Second, shared WiFi, is it secure? I mean, I'm not that familiar with WiFi security standards, but even if data on the network is encrypted with, say, WPA or WEP, isn't all that data encrypted with the same key? I.e. you can put a password on your WiFi to keep your neighbors from sniffing your traffic, but anyone with that password has the access they need. Therefore, if I'm sharing WiFi with my neighbors, couldn't they be sniffing out all my traffic? And if you think that's paranoid, you think a technologically savvy neighbor who weeds through your garbage and watches the whole neighborhood with binoculars are takes pictures of you in your house wouldn't also sniff your internet traffic if they could? If you have an unsecured WiFi network, who says they aren't already?

Unless there is point-to-point security (e.g. encryption between WiFi station and individual WiFi receivers) I wouldn't trust this. Of course, this makes me wonder what kind of security cable internet employs. Could my neighbor be sniffing my cable internet traffic, since that's also a shared resource?

theJ

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
[citation][nom]dark_lord69[/nom]There has got to be a lot of hostility about this technology from other companies. Example: If I had this available in my neighborhood I would NOT be paying $100 a month for Cable TV and internet to Charter. Charter would then either lose me as a customer or have to lower thier prices to compete. Also, My phone can recieve WiFi. Why would I need a data plan if a WiFi signal was measured in miles? I currently don't have and don't want a data plan. I just connect to WiFi hotspots (at coffee shops, home and work for example). Hotspots are seem to be everywhere but now with WiFi soon to be more litterally almost everywhere I will never need a data plan and some day other people might realize they can just use a WiFi connection instead of paying for a data plan.[/citation]

Most smartphone plans require you to have a data plan, even if you don't want one.

batman4u

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2009
i have a doubt, normal wifi antennas locate transmissions at 2.4ghz so how will it see this wifi at 900mhz ??? can some one explain please

jkflipflop98

Distinguished
[citation][nom]batman4u[/nom]i have a doubt, normal wifi antennas locate transmissions at 2.4ghz so how will it see this wifi at 900mhz ??? can some one explain please[/citation]

The massive benefit to the spectrum between 50MHz and 700MHz over the currently used 2.4GHz is that the lower frequencies travel better through walls and for further distances. Instead of measuring your router's range in feet, Super Wi-Fi routers will be able to reach for miles. Range is the main benefit, as initial speeds will be at 15Mbps to 20Mbps

batman4u

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2009
yeah i understand everything of that, but brands make wificards that tune to only 2.4ghz range and if i tune the wifi broadcaster to 900 example, my linksys wifi pci card will not see it unless i modify it... well and i saw the granny using a normal IPAD and thats a normal 2.4ghz how in the hell can a 900mhz wifi signal .... ahh i dont get its like eharing AM on FM band

[citation][nom]theJ[/nom]Most smartphone plans require you to have a data plan, even if you don't want one.[/citation]

thankfully i found a way to get out of mine when i had to go on a tighter budget. but with the crappy smart phone i have it would not be worth it to get another data plan till i get a new phone

batman4u

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2009
[citation][nom]captaincharisma[/nom]thankfully i found a way to get out of mine when i had to go on a tighter budget. but with the crappy smart phone i have it would not be worth it to get another data plan till i get a new phone[/citation]

i dont know if where you live is the same but here in mexico data plans are almost 100dlls a month with including minutes, so i got a prepaid card and edited the APN so it will think its a USB 3G prepaid (for PCs) card and gives me 15day prepaid data plans that cost only 8dlls for 500mb and i dont spend over 40 dlls a month with minutes included

bv90andy

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
48, and a grandmother? Are we living in the 1st or 21st century?

More to the point. Too bad super Wifi is only available in the USA... it's gonna take some time to get it in the UK, I would love to access my WiFi from the hill close to my house.

Also how will this new WiFi interfere with the antena cable that connects set-top boxes to old TV's? I know they're shielded but they aren't of good quality (I still get interference).

cohetedor

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2010
48 isn't that unusual for being a grandmother. My mother's first grandchild was born when she was 45, and her mother had one by the age of 38. Remember, people used to get married young(18-19).

On topic, This would be great for my mother's house as well, it's older and has a lot of tile with steel mesh in the walls and her wifi signal barely makes it 20ft from her router in some rooms.

G

This is not the first residential installation of Super Wi-Fi. Spectrum Bridge has had deployments in four US communities for the last year and a half. Carlson Wireless deployed Super Wi-Fi to the Yurok reservation in February 2011, with four more community deployments in the works throughout the US.

A company called Nuel in the UK announced plans for deployment today.

The Super Wi-Fi Summit in Orlando a couple of months ago had plenty of info on the technology.

Status
Not open for further replies.