A historical question

Sihs

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hi. I am not sure if someone already asked this but here it goes. How does these cards compare with each other in terms of performance (ascending):
voodoo, voodoo2, tnt, tnt2, tnt2 ultra, tnt2 vanta, tnt2 m64.
I wasn't around when they came so I don't have a clue.
Thanks.

atavus

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2001
voodoo
tnt
voodoo2
tnt2 vanta/m64 (I think they were the same. Someone help me here?)
tnt2 ultra

I think I got those ordered right. It all seems so pointless with my GF3.

<b>P</b>eople for the
<b>E</b>ating of
<b>T</b>asty
<b>A</b>nimals

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
>>Voodoo
Voodoo 2
TnT
Vanta
Tnt2
Tnt2 ultra
Tnt2 m64

Wow! That looks totally wrong!

Voodoo
Vanta (a TNT2 in theory but small amount of RAM and limit bandwidth make it worse)
TNT/Voodoo2/TNT2M64 (all relatively equal in performance)
TNT2
TNT2 Ultra

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

G

Much like the Vanta the M64 is a crippled card. It usually has 32MB of RAM but it is cut down to a 64-bit interface making it only viable for business apps (I'm talking Office not 3DStudioMax or AutoCAD). I believe the Vanta has actually been restrained (in fill rate and the like) to less than the original TNT, but I haven't checked the stats in awhile so I could be wrong.

That's what you get for buying your computer based on <font color=orange>color</font color=orange>. :redface:

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
The 32MB RAM makes the M64 faster than the Vanta which usually comes with 8MB because today's games use large textures.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

atavus

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2001
I forgot about that. Never had a tnt/tnt2/voodoo. Just trying to remember the old benchmarks. Thanks for the correction.

<b>P</b>eople for the
<b>E</b>ating of
<b>T</b>asty
<b>A</b>nimals

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
OK, I've been around a while, ignore the other post orders
Voodoo
TNT
TNT2-Vanta
TNT2-M64
Voodoo2
TNT2
TNT2 Ultra
But that would be for 3 year old games! Many newer titles do not properly support Glide, putting the Voodoo2 below the Vanta!

I'm so tired of cookies I'd settle for spam!

bungee

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2001
I'm sorry to disagree with you crashman, but I shopped very hard for a TnT or a Voodoo2 two or three years ago. What was clear in the reviews was that riva TnT has better hardware than Voodoo 2, but Voodoo 2 was advantaged when games supported glide. Otherwise, TnT had better performance. But, in practice, there are no viewable difference between both. I would clearly put Voodoo2 equal with TnT. (TnT is what I finally bought) And let's not forget that TnT was an all in one card while Voodoo2 was an accelerator which is dependant of a 2d/3d card. The exception for that is the Banshee which was an all-in-one card with a Voodoo2 processor, but with worst performance because, for one reason, there was only one chip on the card instead of two for the accelerator. Of course, two Voodoo2 in SLIDE (I think that's the word) is way the best. This combinaison is found last in a single Voodoo 5 card.

<font color=red> I won't sign without my lawyer's presence!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Well, the Voodoo 2 did better in Glide than the TNT did in D3D. In other words, you could get higher frame rates with the Voodoo in games that supported both, like NSF III. But with Glide support dwindling, the TNT will be better with newer games. You can always turn the resulution down to get acceptable framerates.

bungee

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2001
Yes! You are right, I agree with you for that. That's what I thought. But your ladder of performance of cards should put more importance on that. I say TnT is about equal to Voodoo2 because TnT is better when both are in D3D and Voodoo2 is better in glide while TnT keeps in D3D. Of course no games are made in glide since a while making TnT a better investment...

<font color=red> I won't sign without my lawyer's presence!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Well, the title was "A historical question". At the time of it's release the VooDoo 2 was considered best. But newer games show the TNT in a better light do to a move away from Glide. You can still use an AGP TNT for most of the newest games at 800x600 at 16-bit color, or 640x480 at 16-bit to improve framerates.