A HTPC / Light Gaming / Video Encoding GPU Upgrade.

Dygear

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005
I'm planing on buying a video card around the first week of January in the 75$ to 100$ price range (before rebates). I'll be using it mainly for playing some Test Drive Unlimited 2, Live For Speed and some home theater use. I was also hoping to use the card the accelerate video encoding. I have on board graphics right now, so any upgrade will be a massive improvement.

My system specs are:

• CPU: Intel P4 Prescott 3.06GHz (LGA775) (No, I'm not kidding.)
    Mobo: Foxconn RC4107MA-S2
    Memory: 1GB (2x512MB) DDR2 PC-5300.
    Monitor: 1080p via HDMI @ 60Hz 17" HDTV. (Also have a VGA Monitor 1024x768 @ 85Hz, but who would want to use that?)
    PSU: Antec EarthWatts Green 380 Watt

I'm a fan of Newegg and would prefer them for a part recommendation and would appreciate it if you used them as your baseline for pricing. I'm in New York, USA. I don't really care if it's an AMD (*Sniff*, ATi.) as the chip set has a Readon Xpress 200 it would make some sense to stick with AMD but I also like nVidia's cards as the last graphics card I had was a 6800 GT and I was in love with that. So I've used both and love both companies. Overclocking is fine with me. Don't care about SLI or Crossfire, I only have 1 PCIe 16x slot on the Mobo. I don't really intend on running AA or AF, but I would not mind the option of being able to do that as my screen is only a 17" with the pixels so packed I really don't think AA would make much of a difference and I consider smooth game play more important then having all of the bells and whistles on (although I would prefer to max everything out, minus AA & AF).

I'm mainly considering right now a XFX ATi Redeon HD 5670 128-Bit 512MB.