A little help on my first build

bkirch97

Reputable
Jun 14, 2014
Alright so this will be my first build, and I've been doing tons of research whenever i can. What i have so far is this http://pcpartpicker.com/user/bkirch97/saved/Lb66Mp
What do you guys think so far? I'm pretty new to all of this and need a bit of help picking out a few things. First i need to pick a case. I'm at a loss on how to make sure i get a case that will allow everything will fit and leave enough room for cables. Second i need to figure out what type of cooling system to get. Considering this will be my first build, i should probably go with standard fan ventilation, also my budget is pretty close to being reached and i know water-cooling systems will raise the total price substantially. If i go with fans, which ones should i get, and how many?
I would really appreciate some feedback on what case and cooling system i should get or suggestions on improving my build.
~This is my first post so sorry if this is in the wrong category or something so be nice lol.

Solution
This is what I would do, it has liquid cooling, and the money saved by not buying such a big SSD is used than to buy a better GPU

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($233.97 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H60 54.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($59.99 @ Micro Center)
Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($194.98 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($84.98 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard...

Nuckles_56

Admirable
This is what I would do, it has liquid cooling, and the money saved by not buying such a big SSD is used than to buy a better GPU

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($233.97 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H60 54.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($59.99 @ Micro Center)
Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($194.98 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($84.98 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 290 4GB TWIN FROZR Video Card ($418.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: SeaSonic G 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ OutletPC)
Monitor: Asus VH238H 23.0" Monitor ($150.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $1523.82
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-14 01:39 EDT-0400

Solution

CoolVengeance

Honorable
Feb 8, 2014
I would consider a few things.

You don't need 4gb of vram on your gpu unless you are going for something over 1080p gaming.
Second, you do not need 850W of power. You could probably go with a 750W if you are concerned but that is a lot of power.
Other then that, I think that you have a well rounded build. If you need the hero mobo features, unless you could easily go for some z97 or z87 motherboard that is much cheaper.

You build is quite the beast and you should totally take pictures and post them on pcpartpicker.com for everybody to see your master piece.

Anyways, Happy Building!

bkirch97

Reputable
Jun 14, 2014

I was considering doing the lesser SSD storage and getting some HDD to compensate but I'm still unsure which to go for. Ill probably end up doing what you are suggesting. As for the PSU you suggested, that is not enough power for what i have planned in the future. Somewhere down the line I think i will be doing some upgrades (maybe a second video card and doing an SLI and a better proccesor) and I'd rather not waste money buying a whole new power supply once i upgrade and just get the better one now. 850w is probably too much so I'm probably going to reduce it to 750w.

What do you think of this? http://pcpartpicker.com/user/bkirch97/saved/ZdWfrH except swap out the PSU for this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151107 for some reason pcpartpicker didn't have this listed. The R9 290 requires a 750w PSU, do you think i should go back to the 850w considering its a good idea to exceed the requirements?

bkirch97

Reputable
Jun 14, 2014

You're probably right about the PSU, I am most likely going to reduce it to 750w. I know that its still a lot of power but i do plan to do upgrades and some modest overclocking and want to be sure i have enough. As for the motherboard, I really am not sure what my future upgrades will be and would like to ensure I can do a lot without having to upgrade the modo. I really appreciate youre feedback and ill be sure to post plenty of pictures when I finish :)