A Little Help

SERVO

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2001
My 17" monitor died and a friend gave me a Syncmaster 17GLi. It's free and will do for now. So here's my problem, I would like to run this at 85Hz I'm not going over 1024x768 and the spec's state that the range is:
Horizontal 30KHz to 65KHz {automatic}
Vertical 50Hz to 120Hz {automatic}
28 dot pitch
I know that it can run at 80Hz at this setting no problem, I read an old review at PC magazine {1996}
My settings in the Display propeties range from 75Hz and then jumps to 85Hz
NO! 80HZ!
Next problem: My ASUS V7700 states these settings for 1024x768
Horizontal 68.7KHz
Vertical 85Hz
As you can see, I will be over a bit
5Hz Vertical
3.7KHz Horizontal
Will this really matter or will my eyeballs melt?

Toejam31

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Set it at 75Hz. Here's a link: <A HREF="http://www.samsungsupport.com/FTP/17GLI.TXT" target="_new">http://www.samsungsupport.com/FTP/17GLI.TXT</A>

According to the monitor specifications, the maximum refresh rates are 65Hz vertical, 81Hz horizontal when at 1024x786. You shouldn't go any higher than that.

Toejam31

<font color=purple>If there was a reason for everything, having faith would be redundant.</font color=purple>

SERVO

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2001
If I do what happens? it's not alot! will it burn out the monitor or just affect the performance? There has to be a degree of error built in!

Toejam31

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
It's up to you. All I could do was point you in the direction of the factory specifications, and make a recommendation.

My first impulse was to tell you to go ahead, and set the refresh rate to 85Hz, but after looking at several reviews, all of which that stated the monitor couldn't run at that resolution over 80Hz ... AND considering the age of the unit, I told you what I would do it if it was mine, and I needed it to last for a while.

I doubt that raising the refresh rate will hurt the performance, unless the phospher coating on the screen begins to melt. It probably WON'T hurt the unit. But anytime you push something over the manufacturer's maximum rating ... that's overclocking. And there ain't no such thing as being a little bit overclocked ... that's like saying someone is a little bit pregnant.

Sure ... I agree, there should be some frequency tolerance. But how old is that monitor, and do you want to risk having two dead monitors, or just one? Even if it took several months to damage it, that would still be a shame. It really might be too old to be capable of handling anything beyond the rated specs. Old monitors are like old people ... they don't bounce if you push 'em.

If you don't mind me asking, why are you so dead determined to get to that refresh rate, anyway? I'm curious. 75Hz is fast enough that the human eye cannot detect flicker. Do you have some kind of distortion on the screen?

Anyway ... that's my opinion. Remember, you asked ... and I tried to help. It's your decision; it's your hardware.

Good luck!

Toejam31

<font color=purple>If there was a reason for everything, having faith would be redundant.</font color=purple>

SERVO

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2001
I'm at my computer somedays 10 to 12 hours and my eyes get tired. I thought if I upped the Hz it would help. I also spoke to the guy who gave me the monitor. He said one time he accidently changed it to 85Hz and within a very short time the sceen started to tear so that solves my ?. Thanks for your input.