Question A lot of BSODs and no help from answers.microsoft (v2.0)

Apr 24, 2020
Hello guys, some time ago I made this post "https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...from-answers-microsoft.3656321/#post-22033139" which ended in me buying a new hdd to replace my old ssd (wasn't even 1 year old but well maybe was faulty) but I'm getting again lot of bsods (mainly while playing games like assasins creed origins).
The bsod usually goes after some "no error crashes to desktop" (I know when a no error crash is coming usually because the game starts with some minor glitches, e.g while in the menu I can't see the mouse pointer) like almost always 2 times and then BSOD (mainly storage exception bsod) and after the bsod the system doens't detect the OS. Plus sometimes these BSODs are more common after a windows update or when there is an update available
Another thing to note which made me think is the mobo or the psu is this: When I turn on the pc it does a beep which I understand is normal but sometimes there is no beep, the monitor stays black blinking and the mouse and keyboard dont even turn on and the computer stays like that.
I'm really lost here, I should probably change the mobo because I think its the most likely culprit or the psu. Another thing I just remembered if I turn on the PSU and then turn on the pc right away it almost always doest the thing above, "the no beep bug" but If I wait some time it doesn't do that (that points to maybe a capacitor on the mobo thats faulty, idk thats a guess)

-Many thanks in advance
-Dr. Razadyne

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition.

Look in Reliability History for error codes, warnings, and informational events that may be preceding the BSODs.

I would expect there will be some errors especially if you know that a crash is coming via the start of minor glitches.

Event Viewer can be used in the same manner. However, Event Viewer is not at all as user friendly.

Another thing you can do is use Task Manager and Resource Monitor to observe system performance. Use both but only one at a time.

Open the Window and start watching what happens as you first begin to play and then later on if and as the glitches start.

If nothing found:

Power off, unplug, open the case.

Clean out dust and debris.

Verify by sight and feel that all cards, connectors, RAM, and jumpers are fully and firmly in place.

Apr 24, 2020
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition.

Look in Reliability History for error codes, warnings, and informational events that may be preceding the BSODs.

I would expect there will be some errors especially if you know that a crash is coming via the start of minor glitches.

Event Viewer can be used in the same manner. However, Event Viewer is not at all as user friendly.

Another thing you can do is use Task Manager and Resource Monitor to observe system performance. Use both but only one at a time.

Open the Window and start watching what happens as you first begin to play and then later on if and as the glitches start.

If nothing found:

Power off, unplug, open the case.

Clean out dust and debris.

Verify by sight and feel that all cards, connectors, RAM, and jumpers are fully and firmly in place.
Hello, I used to have some BSODs some time back but now i'm getting them quite frequently specially when gaming. The codes are memory_management, unexpected store exception, clock watchdog timeout, irql not less or equal (for now) and sometimes it just hangs and the power button doesnt work unless I hold it for 10secs. Sometimes I hear the sound just fine (while everything else doesnt respond), other times I hear it bugged or constantly playing a short piece of the audio, and other times I stop hearing it. When the pc restarts after the bsod most of the times my cooler starts to get crazy and spin super fast and makes a lot of noice.
Mostly its an UNEXPECTED_STORE_EXCEPTION BSOD and sometimes after the restart it doesn't detect the OS (and I have to press crtl + alt + supr to restart but says the same untill I press the power button for more than 5 seconds and it restarts)
My specs:
processor: fx 8350
GPU: rx 580
Mother: msa99x evo
ram: Dont remember
PSU: I believe a thermaltake with 750w

This is de minidmp folder from back then on 1drive: https://1drv.ms/u/s!An9zpcRCPwY_anVFyiuVIhCY3I8?e=9033fL (was told it could be usefull)

I noted this happens when there's a new windows update and then tried to rollback from it, still having bsods. Plus it happens on some parts of some games (ie: marvels avengers on the HARM mission at any moment within HARM; genshin impact when trying to pass adventurer rank lvl 25 in the last boss fight before it even spawns it just does nothing then it gets stuck and then BSOD and restart)

Checked the event viewer and there are a lot of warnings (ie: The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID Event ID 10016
The IO operation at logical block address 0x38524040 for Disk 2 (PDO name: \Device\00000036) was retried. Event ID 153
Reset to device, \Device\RaidPort0, was issued. Event ID 129
Name resolution for the name sdk-os-static.mihoyo.com timed out after none of the configured DNS servers responded. (mihoyo is the genshin impact's compay) Event ID 1014
The application \Device\HarddiskVolume4\Windows\System32\drvinst.exe with process id 3860 stopped the removal or ejection for the device ACPI\PNP0A03\0. Event ID 225

Dont know what else should I say/upload to give more info.
That's why I posted the last post link too...

PS: sorry for my bad english
-Thanks in advance
-Dr.Razadyne

Colif

Win 11 Master
1gb hd = games, plus it crashes almost every time while playing them (I'm about to buy a 2tb hd to replace it if eveything indicates this is dmg)
500gb hd = mainly medicine books, old pictures, some backups
ssd= windows and almost anything else + a game that I'm about to unistall

So I guess ssd you replaced may not be cause. Although have you had the KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR since then as that was what seemed to suggest the C drive in that last post.

did you run memtest before?
Try running memtest86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 4 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the BSOD. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors. Memtest is created as a bootable USB so that you don’t need windows to run it, just to make the USB.

Apr 24, 2020
So I guess ssd you replaced may not be cause. Although have you had the KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR since then as that was what seemed to suggest the C drive in that last post.

did you run memtest before?
Try running memtest86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 4 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the BSOD. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors. Memtest is created as a bootable USB so that you don’t need windows to run it, just to make the USB.
Hello Colif. I did those tests back then and were ok + I had to remove the 1gb HDD too because was faulty (has like 6 years so no blaming him poor hdd). I could re-upload the bsod info
Edit: I noticed too that when for example the game crashes (those 2 crashes before bsod) If I open the file explorer and try to make a backup of my saved games something happens like if explorer.exe restarted itself (the file explorer stops responding then it closes, all the desktop icons dissapear and night light disables itself)

Apr 24, 2020
What CPU temperatures are you getting under load? Are you overclocking the CPU?

How long have you had these issues vs how long since the system was first built?
The temps last time I checked with HWmonitor where ok (I had temp issues back then when I had the cpu stock cooler) its not overclocked.
How long hmmm hard to tell because when I had temp issues (pc used to shut down due to high temp) was like 3 years ago maybe less, but these problems might be from 2019 and this pc is from like 5 years (the ram, the psu, the micro and the mobo).

Ralston18

Titan
Run the built in Windows Troubleshooters. The troubleshooters may find and fix something.

You can also run "sfc /scannow" and "dism" via the Command Prompt to fix any corrupted files and otherwise clean up the software.

References:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

https://www.howtogeek.com/222532/ho...-system-files-with-the-sfc-and-dism-commands/

If nothing found and/or fixed there and if the other suggestions do not reveal some issue then I would consider the PSU as a primary suspect.

If my system was 9 years old (not saying yours is, but some of the major components are), and crashing uncontrollably, I would use it as an excuse to upgrade, all least CPU, mobo, RAM, and power supply. AMD has dramatically updated their game since then, if you want to stay on that side. Part out the old hardware on Ebay or something like that.

Ralston18

Titan
Seconding @Ketchup79

===============

But to answer your question:

I consider the PSU as the prime suspect based on the symptoms and problems described.

Plus the elimination of other factors such as loose connections, drivers, mis-configurations, etc..

PSUs are a critical component that provides three voltages to various components. Any voltage out of spec will lead to problems.

And PSUs (are are many products nowadays) have a designed in EOL (End of Life). The PSU will eventually wear out and that process can be accelerated by heavy use especially at near or max rated wattage.

Furthermore many PSUs are built as cheaply as possible regarding components, assembly, and QA testing.

Quality PSUs are a must.

So if other tests and fixes fail to resolve the problem, the the PSU (by elimination) is left. Motherboards can and do fail but that is generally under different circumstances and there are more indicators (LEDs, Q-codes, beep codes etc.) to help determine what happened.

Also, you can test PSUs to some extent. An out of spec voltage is a clear sign of a problem with the PSU.

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158

As long as your troubleshooting is methodical and careful the cause of the problem is likely to be determined.

Be the cause motherboard or PSU.

Apr 24, 2020
Yeah you guys are right, today I got a new bsod: Critical_process_died and I think its time for an upgrade or leave gaming lol ahahah. im gonna try that psu testing but well gonna decide which of the 2 decisions im gonna make.
-Thanks very much guys
-Dr. Razadyne

EDIT: had some damaged things that sfc scannow detected, still getting bsod but now I noticed that when the game crashed the disk usage stays at 100% (but while playing isnt) and stays at 100% for like 5 minutes (and if I do something while at 100% might get a BSOD). BTW the only disk I have connected is relatively new

Last edited: