[SOLVED] A lot of BSODs and no help from answers.microsoft

Apr 24, 2020
Hello, I used to have some BSODs some time back but now i'm getting them quite frequently specially when gaming. The codes are memory_management, unexpected store exception, clock watchdog timeout, irql not less or equal (for now) and sometimes it just hangs and the power button doesnt work unless I hold it for 10secs. Sometimes I hear the sound just fine (while everything else doesnt respond), other times I hear it bugged or constantly playing a short piece of the audio, and other times I stop hearing it. When the pc restarts after the bsod most of the times my cooler starts to get crazy and spin super fast and makes a lot of noice.
Mostly its an UNEXPECTED_STORE_EXCEPTION BSOD and sometimes after the restart it doesn't detect the OS (and I have to press crtl + alt + supr to restart but says the same untill I press the power button for more than 5 seconds and it restarts)
My specs:
processor: fx 8350
GPU: rx 580
Mother: msa99x evo
ram: Dont remember
PSU: I believe a thermaltake with 750w

This is de minidmp folder from back then on 1drive: https://1drv.ms/u/s!An9zpcRCPwY_anVFyiuVIhCY3I8?e=9033fL (was told it could be usefull)

I noted this happens when there's a new windows update and then tried to rollback from it, still having bsods. Plus it happens on some parts of some games (ie: marvels avengers on the HARM mission at any moment within HARM; genshin impact when trying to pass adventurer rank lvl 25 in the last boss fight before it even spawns it just does nothing then it gets stuck and then BSOD and restart)

Checked the event viewer and there are a lot of warnings (ie: The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID Event ID 10016
The IO operation at logical block address 0x38524040 for Disk 2 (PDO name: \Device\00000036) was retried. Event ID 153
Reset to device, \Device\RaidPort0, was issued. Event ID 129
Name resolution for the name sdk-os-static.mihoyo.com timed out after none of the configured DNS servers responded. (mihoyo is the genshin impact's compay) Event ID 1014
The application \Device\HarddiskVolume4\Windows\System32\drvinst.exe with process id 3860 stopped the removal or ejection for the device ACPI\PNP0A03\0. Event ID 225

Dont know what else should I say/upload to give more info.

PS: sorry for my bad english
-Thanks in advance
-Dr.Razadyne

Solution
that narrows it down to the ssd

The error code KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR STOP: 0x0000007A states that the requested page of kernel data from the paging file could not be read into memory.

Page file is likely to be on the ssd. that is the default location

try this
search for Command Prompt.
right click the App search result and choose run as admin
type chkdsk C: /f and press enter
NOTE: The root drive has to be C: and the command may schedule a task at the system startup, if it does, then press Y to schedule a task and restart the computer to perform chkdsk.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...ror-code/03276fa2-6dcb-44d0-a778-499d5d00b65d
Apr 24, 2020
Hello and thanks for the answer. I ran twice (in different weeks) the windows mem test (I know its not the best but I dont have a lot of hours to run memtest) and it didn't find any errors. Lately im only seeing the UNEXPECTED_STORE_EXCEPTION BSOD. How do I correctly check de minidmp myself?

Colif

Win 11 Master
I have sent the link to minidumps to a friend who may reply here later with an answer that I can use to read the dumps for you.

that error is possibly caused by a driver. Its hard to tell, the store in question is used by virtual memory to track what is in memory. Often its a driver playing up.

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, I ran the dump files through the debugger and got the following information: https://jsfiddle.net/2d9hnwaL/show This link is for anyone wanting to help. You do not have to view it. It is safe to "run the fiddle" as the page asks.
File information:091720-13265-01.dmp (Sep 17 2020 - 20:20:45)
Bugcheck:CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT (101)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: System)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 25 Min(s), and 23 Sec(s)

File information:091720-13109-01.dmp (Sep 17 2020 - 22:22:13)
Bugcheck:SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION (3B)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: DrakeHollow-Win64-Shipping.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 2 Hour(s), 00 Min(s), and 37 Sec(s)

File information:091720-13031-01.dmp (Sep 17 2020 - 19:54:11)
Bugcheck:IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (A)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: System)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 5 Hour(s), 38 Min(s), and 38 Sec(s)

File information:091720-12843-01.dmp (Sep 17 2020 - 14:14:40)
Bugcheck:UNEXPECTED_STORE_EXCEPTION (154)
Probably caused by:hardware_disk (Process: MemCompression)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 5 Hour(s), 08 Min(s), and 26 Sec(s)

File information:091620-13546-01.dmp (Sep 16 2020 - 13:45:42)
Bugcheck:MEMORY_MANAGEMENT (1A)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: MemCompression)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 4 Hour(s), 09 Min(s), and 52 Sec(s)
Possible Motherboard page: https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/M5A99X_EVO_R20/
There are BIOS updates available for you. Several of them "improve system stability". Wait for additional information before deciding to update or not. Important: Verify that I have linked to the correct motherboard. Updating your BIOS can be risky. Never try it when you might lose power (lightning storms, recent power outages, etc).

This information can be used by others to help you. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Reactions: Dr.Razadyne

Colif

Win 11 Master
crash 3 could be gpu drivers as it mentions directX
May 15 2020atikmdag.sysATI Radeon Kernel Mode driver
May 15 2020atikmpag.sysATI video card driver

maybe get newer ones.
Clock watchdog timeouts can be hardware.

I would run memtest overnight if you don't have time during day to run it. If all 5 bsod so far blamed the same thing I would't suggest memtest. Only one of five was clear about its cause.

Have to wait for the new ones.

gardenman

Splendid
I ran the dump files through the debugger and got the following information: https://jsfiddle.net/xrp571hm/show This link is for anyone wanting to help. You do not have to view it. It is safe to "run the fiddle" as the page asks.
File information:102320-12640-01.dmp (Oct 23 2020 - 18:26:44)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 7 Hour(s), 59 Min(s), and 53 Sec(s)

File information:102320-12375-01.dmp (Oct 23 2020 - 19:19:23)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 09 Min(s), and 29 Sec(s)

File information:102220-12406-01.dmp (Oct 22 2020 - 18:48:06)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 13 Min(s), and 51 Sec(s)

File information:102220-12390-01.dmp (Oct 22 2020 - 18:30:21)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 3 Hour(s), 19 Min(s), and 35 Sec(s)

File information:102220-12265-01.dmp (Oct 22 2020 - 15:10:14)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 5 Hour(s), 41 Min(s), and 38 Sec(s)
Comment: hardware_disk is mentioned in all 5.

This information can be used by others to help you. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Apr 24, 2020
I got 2 500gb solid state hds (rather old idk the brand, so they could be the culprit) and 1 120gb ssd (with windows10 in it, "adata" is the brand and I think its pretty bad)

edit: using wmic diskdrive get status on cmd says ok ; using scan drive says "no errors found"

edit2: used SeaTools for windows as you suggested in other post with this bsod and first it says the 2 hds are "wdc wd1003fzex-00mk2a0 and wdc wd5000aaks-00a7b0" and the ssd is an "ADATA SU650" ; and second SMART, short DST, short generic and long generic all OK

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
So 5 drives? 2 x 500gb ssd,
1 x 120gb ssd
2 western digital hard drives

or did I read that wrong? to identify what drives are you can use a program like speccy which will show you those details - https://www.ccleaner.com/speccy/download

run the diagnostics on this for the adata - https://www.adata.com/us/ss/software-6/ and it might have a firmware update.

wdc would have their own software but seagate tests are probably okay - https://support.wdc.com/downloads.aspx?lang=en&p=3

Apr 24, 2020
I might explained it really crappy: 3 drives = 1 120gb ssd and 1 500gb hd and the other 1tb hd (my mistake saying 2 500gb hd). I checked them all with seagate with all the options and now checked all 3 with all the adata toolbox and they were all ok with both programs.

Colif

Win 11 Master
i sort of guessed it was only 3 :)

all 5 errors have ExceptionCode: c0000006 (In-page I/O error)

The STATUS_IN_PAGE_ERROR describes itself as “The instruction at XXX referenced memory at YYY. The required data was not placed into memory because of an I/O error status of ZZZ.” What does this mean?

It means that the memory manager needed to read some memory from the disk, but the disk returned an error. (Namely, error ZZZ.) Since it has no way to return an error code to your program—I mean, after all, all your program did was read a variable from memory; there’s no way to return an error code from int x = y if y cannot be read off the disk—it is reduced to raising an exception.

When you see this message, and the I/O operation was coming from your hard drive, then you need to go shopping for a new hard drive.

https://devblogs.microsoft.com/oldnewthing/20081204-00/?p=19963

How much usage are the 2 hdd getting? whats on them? Working out which drive is actually the cause here would help. My guess its the 120gb ssd but that is just a guess. It doesn't help none of the errors occurred while running a specific program, they all crashed the system instead. I can't guess what you were doing at the time of errors.

Apr 24, 2020
1gb hd (wdc wd1003fzex-00mk2a0) is at 80% ; 500gb hd is at 15% ; the ssd is at 75% (windows installed on this one). I got the ssd because I had a windows error on one of the HDs (plus its way faster).
1gb hd = games, plus it crashes almost every time while playing them (I'm about to buy a 2tb hd to replace it if eveything indicates this is dmg)
500gb hd = mainly medicine books, old pictures, some backups
ssd= windows and almost anything else + a game that I'm about to unistall

edit: today got another bsod "KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR "(I'm having them every hour but this one has another code) and uploaded it to the one drive with todays name (https://1drv.ms/u/s!An9zpcRCPwY_fxX-il65FoGFwGk?e=hdymZN link for it)

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
that narrows it down to the ssd

The error code KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR STOP: 0x0000007A states that the requested page of kernel data from the paging file could not be read into memory.

Page file is likely to be on the ssd. that is the default location

try this
search for Command Prompt.
right click the App search result and choose run as admin
type chkdsk C: /f and press enter
NOTE: The root drive has to be C: and the command may schedule a task at the system startup, if it does, then press Y to schedule a task and restart the computer to perform chkdsk.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...ror-code/03276fa2-6dcb-44d0-a778-499d5d00b65d

Reactions: Dr.Razadyne
Solution
Apr 24, 2020
I did that a lot of times before, in fact I got the ssd because of these bsods in January but today morning (argentina) did the sfc /scan whatnot followed by a chkdsk and still no bsods (from having one per 1 or 2hs is progress).
If I'm not having another bsod 'attack' then I'm marking the last post as answer.
Finally thank you very much for the patience and help

Colif

Win 11 Master
Once you have used an ssd you can't go back. You might want to get a bigger one next time, we normally try to get people to use 250gb or larger, mainly as it gives you room to move and ssd slow down when they start to fill up. Larger the ssd, more spare space it can use to replace bad blocks, longer before you start getting errors. Larger ssd also could have a bigger ram buffer so they stay faster for longer.

My last PC I had a 250gb ssd and almost always had 187gb free. Probably too much but I only used C for windows + any applications that need to be reinstalled with windows, everything else was on a hdd. I am trying to get myself to use more on current PC but years ago I lost two hdd in quick succession and losing all your info makes you reluctant to bother putting any on next time. I am only using 150gb still on my nvme

Apr 24, 2020
Yeah ssd is a huge step forward in speed. I didn't know that speed + bad blocks thing and I went with 120gb for windows only, next time im gonna get a bigger one. Thanks again
Edit: for anyone that looks at this post for the same problem = do the marked and if fails change ssd, had another bsod and I'm going to replace the ssd and resintall windows

Last edited: