A lot of talk about mixing ram.

Colif

Win 11 Master
So 2 easy, 3 or more gets harder... that is about what we find.
Generally if you want 4 to work together, buy all at same time and generally helps if same make/model unless you like feeling lucky
I have seen people mix 8 sticks from different makers (4 sets of 2 sticks) and it worked fine.
How much money you willing to waste to get it right?

also. this isn't a long term test, would need to run for a while to see if any odd errors don't start happening. BSOD can be caused by memory mismatches.

Reactions: white.a.drew

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
also. this isn't a long term test, would need to run for a while to see if any odd errors don't start happening. BSOD can be caused by memory mismatches.

THIS...

Happens with so many people that mix ram, or overclock without testing, etc. And their system works "fine" but what they are not realizing is that over time their Windows install is slowly corrupting and will get to the point that the system needs to be wiped and reinstalled. Those occasional unexplained crashes once a week, people let them go but that is NOT normal. My sim system has literally never crashed, except when the old GPU was actually failing. My Server, never ever crashed or froze, ever. Wife's system, never crashed ever. My Gaming system hasn't crashed in years, and when it did crash it was due to my PSU failing. Again, hardware. If your system is crashing and its not hardware, something is wrong, you may not see it, it may not be immediately evident, but it very much could be something like this.

Reactions: white.a.drew
THIS...

Happens with so many people that mix ram, or overclock without testing, etc. And their system works "fine" but what they are not realizing is that over time their Windows install is slowly corrupting and will get to the point that the system needs to be wiped and reinstalled. Those occasional unexplained crashes once a week, people let them go but that is NOT normal. My sim system has literally never crashed, except when the old GPU was actually failing. My Server, never ever crashed or froze, ever. Wife's system, never crashed ever. My Gaming system hasn't crashed in years, and when it did crash it was due to my PSU failing. Again, hardware. If your system is crashing and its not hardware, something is wrong, you may not see it, it may not be immediately evident, but it very much could be something like this.
So 2 easy, 3 or more gets harder... that is about what we find.
Generally if you want 4 to work together, buy all at same time and generally helps if same make/model unless you like feeling lucky
I have seen people mix 8 sticks from different makers (4 sets of 2 sticks) and it worked fine.
How much money you willing to waste to get it right?

Note in the end they say its best to just flip your old ram and get two new sticks of the same kit.

TRENDING THREADS