Question A low budget Gamin PC $700-$800

SteineyDragon

Prominent
Apr 29, 2020
It’s been 12 years since I have even owned a gaming PC. I use to build them, but I feel like a complete noobie, like an old man lost on the internet trying to understand it all...I have a $700-$800 budget a piece for my girlfriend and I to build us PCs. Any information on a decent build in that range (if possible) would be greatly appreciated. I will continue to scour google, but figured I would drop a thread to the community. Thank you all!

mineforce

Prominent
Oct 13, 2019
Build one yourself. Prebuilt PC's nowadays are pretty much scams. If you don't think you can build pc's anymore just because your older, yes you can. Anyone can build a pc. There will be a manual that comes with the motherboard that will pretty much walk you through the entire build, and there are also youtube videos you can seek help from. If you give me a day or two, I can easily hook you up with a list of components that stays within the budget if you want?

SteineyDragon

Prominent
Apr 29, 2020
Build one yourself. Prebuilt PC's nowadays are pretty much scams. If you don't think you can build pc's anymore just because your older, yes you can. Anyone can build a pc. There will be a manual that comes with the motherboard that will pretty much walk you through the entire build, and there are also youtube videos you can seek help from. If you give me a day or two, I can easily hook you up with a list of components that stays within the budget if you want?

Absolutely! I can wait a day or two, and I will continue to looks as well. I was going to purchase my tower case tomorrow...do you think a full tower is too much? I’m torn between prepping for the future, or just doing a mid tower for now.

Gzr

Apr 8, 2020
Ryzen 1600AF
Asrock B450m pro4
gtx 1660 super
gskill ripjaws V 2x8gb @3200mhz
corsair cx550
crucial mx500
Case is really up to you. I'd go for a mid.

The above should be about your budget, especially if you're in the US.

mineforce

Prominent
Oct 13, 2019
Absolutely! I can wait a day or two, and I will continue to looks as well. I was going to purchase my tower case tomorrow...do you think a full tower is too much? I’m torn between prepping for the future, or just doing a mid tower for now.
A mid tower will do. A personal recommendation of mine is the Cooler Master h500 series, i have one of those myself and theyre so good and they got plenty of space for mid towers and cable management is properly prepared for. I will make the list right now:)

mineforce

Prominent
Oct 13, 2019
Ok, Steiney. I have some good news and i have some bad news. The good news is the list is done, the bad news is I was forced to go over your budget a little. I'm sorry but staying below 400$ when building a PC that actually can be used for gaming is an impossible task. I put together a pretty decent pc list while fighting with teeth and claws to stay inside your budget, and I know going over your budget is a bummer, but that is basically inevitable, especially for a budget pc like yours, and I think you'll find that in the end, it'll be worth it. I went over my build budget last year with a few hundred bucks, and I'm happy today I did.
Anyways, here is the link: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Mineforce/saved/nJ8vf7

Reactions: SteineyDragon
Ok, Steiney. I have some good news and i have some bad news. The good news is the list is done, the bad news is I was forced to go over your budget a little. I'm sorry but staying below 400$ when building a PC that actually can be used for gaming is an impossible task. I put together a pretty decent pc list while fighting with teeth and claws to stay inside your budget, and I know going over your budget is a bummer, but that is basically inevitable, especially for a budget pc like yours, and I think you'll find that in the end, it'll be worth it. I went over my build budget last year with a few hundred bucks, and I'm happy today I did.
"700-800 a piece" Not 700-800 for both

PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
CPU | AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor | $172.76 @ Walmart
Motherboard | MSI B450M PRO-VDH MAX Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard | $83.98 @ Newegg
Memory | Patriot Viper 4 Blackout 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory | $74.99 @ Newegg
Storage | Crucial P2 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive | $64.99 @ B&H
Video Card | Asus GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER 6 GB TUF GAMING OC Video Card | $229.99 @ Best Buy
Case | Phanteks P300 ATX Mid Tower Case | $59.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply | be quiet! Pure Power 11 600 W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply | $79.90 @ B&H
| Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts |
| Total | $766.60
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-30 16:27 EDT-0400 |

Reactions: SteineyDragon

SteineyDragon

Prominent
Apr 29, 2020
My top end of my budget is 800, not 400 hahah.

Ok, hi again, it's me.
I did some changes to your list and managed to stay within 800$. This list i would say really gives some bang for ya buck, hope you like it
https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Mineforce/saved/nJ8vf7
Several issues with this list.

PSU is below bad. It's quite horrible.
A 1050ti in an $800 PC? Nah.
You can source windows 10 for cheap or potentially free, so i would not recommend paying $100 for it.

SteineyDragon

Prominent
Apr 29, 2020
PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
CPU | AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor | $172.76 @ Walmart
Motherboard | MSI B450M PRO-VDH MAX Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard | $83.98 @ Newegg
Memory | Patriot Viper 4 Blackout 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory | $74.99 @ Newegg
Video Card | Asus GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER 6 GB TUF GAMING OC Video Card | $229.99 @ Best Buy
Case | Phanteks P300 ATX Mid Tower Case | $59.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply | be quiet! Pure Power 11 600 W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply | $79.90 @ B&H
| Total | $766.60
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-30 16:27 EDT-0400 |
Will 600 watt be able to sustain all this comfortably? I’m just nervous about under power (I’ve never had one under 700 wtt) I’m sure I’m just being paranoid

PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
CPU | AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor | $172.39 @ Newegg
Motherboard | MSI B450M PRO-VDH MAX Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard | $79.99 @ Newegg
Memory | Patriot Viper 4 Blackout 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory | $87.99 @ Newegg
Case | Corsair SPEC-04 ATX Mid Tower Case | $50.93 @ Amazon
Power Supply | Antec NeoECO Gold ZEN 500 W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply | $70.31 @ Amazon
| Total | $756.59
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-05-19 13:25 EDT-0400 |

Here is the same thing but the case and PSU replaced with in-stock ones.

This PSU is only 500w, but that is still enough for your build, and would even be fine with an upgrade to a 2060 in the future.

PSu market is messed up right now.