[SOLVED] A machine for programming and music editing/making.

Mar 20, 2020
Hello,

I'm bulding a new PC and my eyes are turned on a Intel's processors and more specifically Xeon's family. So far i used an old i5 2500k, but back in a days i only used to play video games on my PC. Now I wanna something new which would be more of a workstation than casual computer. I have been programming for 4 months(focused on C, Python and Java) and i got really passionate about that so as you can guess, I'm gonna use a new machine mostly for learning, programming (deep learning subjects mostly) and also for editing and making a music. I have an idea to build a computer with used 8 core Xeon (something made in 14nm process , I don't want to have too old of a CPU) and Radeon Vega 56 or 64 with 32 or 64 GB of DDR4 RAM. So i have a question, do i even need 64 RAM for those kind of things? 32GB should be enough, right? So if you guys have any sugestion and tips for me, I'm looking forward to listen all of them and learn something new. I know something about hardware, but I'm not an expert, so I hope I'm gonna learn some new stuff, cheers.

Solution
C, Python and Java
You won't need a heavy machine to do these.
Radeon Vega 56 or 64 with 32 or 64 GB of DDR4 RAM. So i have a question, do i even need 64 RAM for those kind of things?
For programming you would probably not need more than 8 gigs, but if you are doing heavy tasks(more than just text based programs) then you should probably use 16gb.

But if you are editing videos, then you should have 16, 24, or 32gb.
And deep learning, get a good GPU with lots of memory, such as the 1080ti. 1080ti is good for deep learning.

2plash6

Reputable
BANNED
Jul 23, 2019
C, Python and Java
You won't need a heavy machine to do these.
Radeon Vega 56 or 64 with 32 or 64 GB of DDR4 RAM. So i have a question, do i even need 64 RAM for those kind of things?
For programming you would probably not need more than 8 gigs, but if you are doing heavy tasks(more than just text based programs) then you should probably use 16gb.

But if you are editing videos, then you should have 16, 24, or 32gb.
And deep learning, get a good GPU with lots of memory, such as the 1080ti. 1080ti is good for deep learning.

Last edited:
Solution

2plash6

Reputable
BANNED
Jul 23, 2019
What is your budget?

Would you like to build an entire new machine, or just upgrade some components?
I recommend you upgrade to a new PC, because the i5 2500k uses a pretty old lga1155 socket, and the best CPU for that socket would be an i7-3770k.

The 3770k is also too expensive.
It is still performs pretty well, but it costs as much as an 13 10100.

The i3 10100 is slightly faster.

Mar 20, 2020
What is your budget?

Would you like to build an entire new machine, or just upgrade some components?
I recommend you upgrade to a new PC, because the i5 2500k uses a pretty old lga1155 socket, and the best CPU for that socket would be an i7-3770k.

The 3770k is also too expensive.
It is still performs pretty well, but it costs as much as an 13 10100.

The i3 10100 is slightly faster.
My budget is around 1200$, I could spend more, but i think i don't really need to, i can buy something decent in this price range. Also I'm not a professionalist in those subject, I just started to learn those things, so i don't have to spend enormous amounts of money.

Also I sold my PC, now I'm using some garbage laptop, so i need to buy something decent, I want to make a set up with 2 monitors also to work more comfortable.

2plash6

Reputable
BANNED
Jul 23, 2019
My budget is around 1200$, I could spend more, but i think i don't really need to, i can buy something decent in this price range. Also I'm not a professionalist in those subject, I just started to learn those things, so i don't have to spend enormous amounts of money.

Also I sold my PC, now I'm using some garbage laptop, so i need to buy something decent, I want to make a set up with 2 monitors also to work more comfortable.
Ok. But are the monitors included with your budget?