[SOLVED] "A media driver your computer needs is missing" when trying to clean install Windows on new SSD ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

clarkey1984

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2014
Hi all, I'm currently trying to breathe some new life into my old core2quad build that now resides in my container at work, so I bought a crucial bx500 240gb SSD for it.

However it won't let me install, as I'm getting the age old "a media driver your computer needs is missing" error.

Full specs are...

Intel dq45cb motherboard.
C2q q8400 CPU.
8gb (4x2gb) Samsung ddr2 ram.
Aopen DVD-RW drive.
Onboard graphics.

All standard bits from years ago, and definitely not fast by today's standards, fine for hammering Spotify and Amazon music on though, plus decent for doing paperwork and stuff on.

It's important to note that I've clean installed win10 on this system quite a few times before, as it used to be my gaming setup when it had a q9650 and a gtx770 GPU in it, and I've installed on both hard drives and my old intel SSD that's now in my new system, so for that reason I'm ruling out it being an SSD related problem.

I've tried all the things I've read about this, swapping the usb flash drive to a different port, redownloaded the installation media again, used a different flash drive, not working.

Any ideas people?

Thanks in advance :)

clarkey1984

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2014
Well I've no idea what actually fixed it in the end really, as I mucked about with uefi settings, plus a few other BIOS settings that I'd read about, then it wouldn't even read the USB stick at all, just gave me a no operating system installed error, so I put everything back to how it was, then ran the setup again, and on encountering the media error I switched the usb stick to a different port again, like I'd done about 20 times previously, before I changed anything else, and then it suddenly just worked.

Now it boots faster than my new kaby lake build does, so that's getting a new SSD too, can't be having something eight generations older performing better now can I.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS