Question A media driver your computer needs is missing ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

softrd

Honorable
Aug 19, 2016
I'm trying to install Windows 10 on a new machine, and I get the following message.

"A media driver your computer needs is missing. This could be a DVD, USB or Hard disk driver. If you have a CD, DVD, or USB flash drive with the driver on it, please insert it now."

I've seen this in lots of other threads, however, everything listed doesn't work. I've tried replacing the USB in other ports, changing settings in BIOS, etc...

I have a B450 Aorus Elite motherboard with the latest BIOS firmware F31.

Anyone have ideas?

softrd

Honorable
Aug 19, 2016
I've seen that page, tried swapping ports, and as far as these go ...

"The ISO media or the DVD drive setup you’re using is corrupted"

I've been re-downloading and copying everyday, no corruption, it's reading fine.

"The USB drive you’re using is malfunctioned"

I went to the store, bought 5 more USB's, tried a total of 9 from different vendors. This ain't it.

"The speed at which ISO or DVD setup burned was either too slow or too fast"

I've tried multiple ways and parameters of copying to USB from Linux via dd.

"Your machine is using SATA instead of IDE"

This new motherboard doesn't list IDE. Only AHCI and RAID. Neither makes a difference.

There's a reason I hate MS, but I'm forced to use it because my customer needs it. Pure crap, never changes.

D

Deleted member 14196

You can’t make windows install media from linux. Use a usb an Microsoft Windows Media Creation Tool

softrd

Honorable
Aug 19, 2016
I don't understand. Why wouldn't the official copy of Windows on a USB drive I bought at MicroCenter work? Surely MS made it from Windows?! I get the same results from that.

I see this with Dell laptops all the time. During the boot process, for some reason, the USB ports are momentarily "bumped" off/on which causes the process to hiccup and produce the driver needed message. On those laptops only an internal CD/DVD drive, connected via IDE/SATA works. It's possible this is happening to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.