Question A Microsoft Windows ACCOUNT Question

Wolkie 72

Prominent
Aug 7, 2022
I'm running Windows 10 and would like to know: Do I have to have an account with Microsoft utilizing a password? I realize this sounds like a really dumb question, but after getting kicked off one of my games too many times I asked Warcraft's Support for help and they gave me some instructions which asked for my (at that time) password and my password was rejected by Microsoft. I took my CPU to my shop where it was fixed and returned to me with the admonition not to "mess with" Microsoft for any reason which required opening an account with them and the use of a password.

I guess as background I should mention that I came to Windows 10 from XP, so it was free at that time, and I will also mention that the instructions from the game support person had me go into the "services" menu and make changes there. This, I suspect caused my problem resulting in my trip to the shop.

I know that in addition to the dumb question the information I just gac e you is more than a little sketchy. I am 72 with a 60 % loss of cognitive functions, but maybe someone could help me with some limited information. I would appreciate any help I can get here because there are some things my machine does (wireless headphones are one) and the aforementioned loss of my playlists on WMP may be another.

Thanks

Bill

USAFRet

Titan
On my Win 10 and 11 systems, I have 3x accounts.

1x Standard user. This is for daily operations. Like right now.
1x Admin user. This is for anything that requires admin privs. Installing software, for example.
1x MS account. This is for any license issues, or in the (never ever) case when I need something from the MS Store. This same account is used across all my Win 10/11 systems.

I built this current Win 11 system last Christmas. I think I've logged into the MS account once since then.

And your "Microsoft account" can be anything. A random email address and password.
Mine is a rarely used gmail account and a unique password.

Reactions: Wolkie 72

TalkingTomCat

Prominent
Aug 22, 2022
On my Win 10 and 11 systems, I have 3x accounts.

1x Standard user. This is for daily operations. Like right now.
1x Admin user. This is for anything that requires admin privs. Installing software, for example.
1x MS account. This is for any license issues, or in the (never ever) case when I need something from the MS Store. This same account is used across all my Win 10/11 systems.

I built this current Win 11 system last Christmas. I think I've logged into the MS account once since then.

And your "Microsoft account" can be anything. A random email address and password.
Mine is a rarely used gmail account and a unique password.
Are you not having any issues managing this 3 accounts?
Login to one account to update apps and other settings.
Another account for MS authenticating etc.?

Reactions: Wolkie 72

USAFRet

Titan
Are you not having any issues managing this 3 accounts?
Login to one account to update apps and other settings.
Another account for MS authenticating etc.?
There is little to "manage".

The Standard account is daily use.
Only if installing an application, or changing some system setting, does it ask for the Admin password. Still signed in to the Standard user account.

The MS account is only for licensing issues, which is never.

I've been doing it this way for over a decade.