A mini desktop build with GForce 680?

shokan

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2008
My latest hare-brained idea: build a mini-case desktop with powerful nVidia discrete graphics that I can actually carry to Wi-Fi locations around town. What about the monitor, then? I will be getting the Lenovo ThinkVision remote wireless (or, wired USB 3.0) 13" monitor/tablet (Wacom Stylus) that is due out soon.

Bear with me. I carry the mini-desktop into our very large recently beautifully renovated library and sit in one of their large upholstered chairs that have an AC plug built in the side. Plug in my mini-desktop and set it on the floor next to the chair... then, start working away with my remote wireless monitor/tablet with Wacom stylus.

This could actually work. And, I don't have to pay 2X-4X as much for a laptop that has i7 CPU and high-end discrete graphics AND the all-important ability to do high-end 3D work on-screen with a Wacom stylus. I'll screw a handle to the top of the mini-case so it's like a suitcase. It will be used at home as also as my main machine.

For the mini-desktop, I'm pretty sure there is a mini version of P8Z77 mobo. I already have a 2600k CPU laying around. So, powerful motherboard and CPU are all set.

Big question, though, can a G-Force 680 fit in that kind of small case with that mini version of PR8Z77? If not, what can? I want the most bang possible (intense 3D work). I haven't built a PC in over 12 years and it was a full tower last time.

(definitely not buying a laptop or tablet, so no recommendations needed for that)

Solution
No, it can't fit, not that a GTX680 is worth it... Good news though. The GTX670 which happens to be a much better buy has a mini version by Asus that just may fit. Not sure if its available yet, can['t find it on Newegg.

This one : https://www.google.co.za/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=7&cad=rja&ved=0CGIQFjAG&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.tomshardware.com%2Fnews%2FAsus-GTX-670-Mini-DirectCU%2C21806.html&ei=UI10UaDHIMWJ0AWu4IHQAQ&usg=AFQjCNFZVy9L6NQwKybpQ8-p-OIPzgkqig&bvm=bv.45512109,d.d2k

What case are you looking at?
No, it can't fit, not that a GTX680 is worth it... Good news though. The GTX670 which happens to be a much better buy has a mini version by Asus that just may fit. Not sure if its available yet, can['t find it on Newegg.

This one : https://www.google.co.za/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=7&cad=rja&ved=0CGIQFjAG&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.tomshardware.com%2Fnews%2FAsus-GTX-670-Mini-DirectCU%2C21806.html&ei=UI10UaDHIMWJ0AWu4IHQAQ&usg=AFQjCNFZVy9L6NQwKybpQ8-p-OIPzgkqig&bvm=bv.45512109,d.d2k

What case are you looking at?

Solution

shokan

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2008
Don't know what case yet. I need a suggestion, actually.

The 670 card might work too for my 3D stuff.

@ g Unit! looking for a DIY solution first though that Tiki is awesome.

MANOFKRYPTONAK

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2012
+1 on the mini 670 from ASUS, 670 is only 5% slower than a 680 anyways. Maybe wait for Haswell. Or look at what Falcon Northwest uses in there builds, if you have questions call and ask. Then build your own based off there specs...

shokan

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2008
OP here. The 670 in large format is not listed as an approved card for a certain Foundry software. But, that is not to say it won't work. I'll have to check on that. In any case, what about NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480 or NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580 for a mini case, which are listed as approved by The Foundry? 2 GB of VRAM is the minimum needed.

Get a case like a Silverstone Sugo or Bitfenix Prodigy, get an ITX board, 3770k and a short 670. Assemble and your all good I think.

If your particularly happy with modding the cases, I dont see why you couldnt mount a VESA Bracket to the side of the case and attach your monitor directly to it. Though height might be an issue, might have to bring a fold up table or something.

g-unit1111

Titan

Why pay that kind of money for an old GPU? If you're going to buy get the latest and greatest. I heavily suggest checking out the system I linked to, it seems like it's what you're looking for.

shokan

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2008

Thanks for those case models. I'll take a look at them.

The Lenovo ThinkVision monitor/tablet is a 13.3" display so there is no problem with portability. It would be in my lap, or laid flat on the small fold-over shelf on the type of library chair I mentioned or in a cafe or at a meeting. It's due out 2nd quarter, so soon. It will essentially function the same as a small model Wacom Cintiq, but with a wireless option. Apparently, it has really good range, too. No discernible lag in wireless mode from what I read at one preview article, but wired there would be zero.

I checked with people who have ussd the full-sized GTX 670 btw and it's fine for the software I'll be using. If the specs for the small version are the same, I'm good to go. I'll be keeping my eye out for that. Thanks for the heads up on that one.

The board I'm looking at is ASUS P8Z77-M LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard. ITX you mentioned versus ATX, don't understand the difference.