[SOLVED] A mini Video Editing PC: NUC + Thunderbolt + eGPU?

Aug 21, 2019
Hi,

I have an Intel NUC5i5RYH - Core i5 and it's great because it's quiet, uses close to no power at idle, and is small: my only problem is i can't do video editing or photoshop on it (as expected)., the cpu is probably to slow and it has no thunderbolt for external graphics: I need an opgrade.

I don't want a big computer that draws big amounts of power at idle, so i though: What mini computer + eGPU would be a good video editing and photo editing machine that can be unplugged from the GPU and work as a quiet study PC? It's not required to be a NUC, just a mini (preferably with thunderbolt)

I though of upgrading my NUC to a NUC7i5BNH but i think the CPU is not going to handle the video editing (not much of an upgrade)
https://www.amazon.com/NUC7i5BNH-Du...rds=NUC7I5BNH&qid=1566376661&s=gateway&sr=8-4

I thought of NUC NUC6I7KYK - Core i7 too but i don't know if i should go for ryzen cpu instead?

Solution
That would do but you're going to have to shell out a great deal on an external GPU dock as well as the GPU itself. If you're looking for a small form factor system, why not just build one, with respect to your needs? As it stands you could also do the same with a laptop(that has Thunderbolt 3 on it ofc).

Lutfij

Titan
That would do but you're going to have to shell out a great deal on an external GPU dock as well as the GPU itself. If you're looking for a small form factor system, why not just build one, with respect to your needs? As it stands you could also do the same with a laptop(that has Thunderbolt 3 on it ofc).

Solution
Aug 21, 2019

I agree that I would need a good Graphics Card. This issue with a small form factor (if i were to build it myself) is that it's hard to fit low noise fans into such a small room, and with a good GPU inside it would probably overhead. I also like the low power commption of NUCS hardware - the CPU and motherboard of a nuc draws much less power.

However I guess there is the posibility of a small form factor and then have it include thunderbolt in hardware and then use external GPU that i can switch off when i use the PC (90% 0f the time) for basic browsing, writing, making slides-

This guy tested the RTX 2080 + i7 Bean Canyon NUC for gaming which is interesting. I wonder how it would work for photoshop and video editing.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJF8a1H8C80

TRENDING THREADS