Question A modem problem ?

Rick_S

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2010
This afternoon I lost my internet connection, and I can’t make sense of what’s wrong. My Modem is a Motorola MB 8600. I reset it , and restarted it. My internet company shows it as working, after their test, and the green connection light is blinking correctly. However, bypassing the router, and booking my Win 11 PC directly to the Router doesn’t connect to the internet. I’ve tried different cables and different router ports with no success. my router, a TP-Link AX 1800 is consistently showing the orange not connected to the internet light. So the router checks out fine, and the led blinks properly, but neither my Router, or PC can connect to it. Please help!

A lot of the time you cannot just swap what's plugged into the modem and get a connection. I'd suggest starting with the router side of things so pull the power from both the modem and router, then make sure the ethernet cable goes from the modem to the WAN port on the router, plug the modem power back in and then after it syncs to the internet plug the power back into the router and see where you're at.

Then your router isn't getting an IP, and if you did the same thing with the PC in place of the router you should check to see what the IP address it's getting is (if it's getting one). If it's not then for whatever reason it would seem you're not getting provisioned an IP which would indicate a fault with either your modem or service provider.

Rick_S

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2010
A lot of the time you cannot just swap what's plugged into the modem and get a connection. I'd suggest starting with the router side of things so pull the power from both the modem and router, then make sure the ethernet cable goes from the modem to the WAN port on the router, plug the modem power back in and then after it syncs to the internet plug the

Rick_S

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2010
After waiting long enough with the power off for the modem to reset,I’ve determined that the modem is having the problem. Thank you for your help.