Discussion A #MondayMotivation discussion - What was your 'why' and 'how'?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArjunY

Commendable
Aug 31, 2020
(Thought of posting this under the 'Systems' section because that's basically the background of the Discussion)
I hope this finds you in the best of health and spirit. :D
Yesterday I was contemplating, that there are so many participants in the PCMR who now have a very smooth or overkill setup (or a configuration of our own liking), but then it also must be that at one point of time it was but a simple dream. to get rid of seeing low numbers even on 720p low. Similarly, there may be people now who are in that place, and hold a dream in their minds of someday owning a build which comprises a 5950x and 3090 (or anything of our hearts' desires for that matter).
So I thought of asking... What were the special steps or goals you had set and pursued (or are pursuing) for yourself to get that sweet build you've always wanted, be it saving money, or trying to earn through a side hustle, or any form of hard work, and how did you feel after having achieve it? Your answers could certainly rub off some inspiration on others to keep pushing for what they want. :D
Feel free to answer. :D
Take care and stay safe. These tough times of the pandemic will pass soon, I pray.
P.S. I myself used to have a poster on my almirah where I gave myself the objective to clear an entrance examination and also gain a good score in my Undergraduate Finals, and as a reward obtain a 3060Ti build (though at the end I had to settle for an RX 580, but was still happy :))

iPeekYou

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2014
I recall that all I wanted was to play COD4 and Left 4 Dead 2 with my friends. I had used my laptop prior to my first gaming PC at that point. I was in high school, and I remember dad hit a jackpot contract with his business, and he bought me my first gaming PC. It was i5-3470 paired with 8GB of RAM and a Zotac GTX 660. The Zotac card was the only GPU I can fit into the case, since I opted for the cheapest case in the local store lmao.

Left the PC back home for college, and kept the system for quite some time before a small upgrade from the money I earned working part-time in college: a combo of used i5-3570K and Z77 board. Did some small overclocking with a $5 80mm tower cooler, and left it at that. I then traded the combo for i5-3470 (yeah, went back to that CPU) and a H61 board after I found that my old B75 board was dead. Got another pair of RAM sticks as well with that deal, and not long after I traded the CPU-MB-RAM combo for my current ones at a local store.

Also traded my old 660 for an ex-mined RX 580. Guy sold it for 100 bucks originally, but I kept tab on the product, and one night I saw his listing goes for $60. Hell yeah I grabbed that one quickly. The seller also gave a personal warranty of 1 month, providing a Furmark screenshot before sending it over to me.

Not long after, I saw a listing for a mint 1080; came pristine as if just opened yesterday; for $230. I sold my 580 (clarifying its history as well) to the local store, and got $55 which then I added to my budget. Earned the rest of the money through a side hustle as junior researcher at the uni where I'm currently studying.

That said, I kick myself sometimes for not opting for the 1080 Ti from the same seller. Sold for $400, and today I can only get a 1070 for that price around here. Good times.

I found this thread while idly browsing unanswered threads. Hope this means something to you, OP.

Sidenote: I recently watched Jayz's video about the general frustration towards contents pertaining to new PC hardware, and he mentioned the RTX 3000 series is a write-off. I agree wholeheartedly. Where I live, the only way to reliably get one of those is through scalpers. The worst I saw was 3060 selling for $1000!

Reactions: ArjunY

ArjunY

Commendable
Aug 31, 2020
I recall that all I wanted was to play COD4 and Left 4 Dead 2 with my friends. I had used my laptop prior to my first gaming PC at that point. I was in high school, and I remember dad hit a jackpot contract with his business, and he bought me my first gaming PC. It was i5-3470 paired with 8GB of RAM and a Zotac GTX 660. The Zotac card was the only GPU I can fit into the case, since I opted for the cheapest case in the local store lmao.

Left the PC back home for college, and kept the system for quite some time before a small upgrade from the money I earned working part-time in college: a combo of used i5-3570K and Z77 board. Did some small overclocking with a $5 80mm tower cooler, and left it at that. I then traded the combo for i5-3470 (yeah, went back to that CPU) and a H61 board after I found that my old B75 board was dead. Got another pair of RAM sticks as well with that deal, and not long after I traded the CPU-MB-RAM combo for my current ones at a local store.

Also traded my old 660 for an ex-mined RX 580. Guy sold it for 100 bucks originally, but I kept tab on the product, and one night I saw his listing goes for $60. Hell yeah I grabbed that one quickly. The seller also gave a personal warranty of 1 month, providing a Furmark screenshot before sending it over to me.

Not long after, I saw a listing for a mint 1080; came pristine as if just opened yesterday; for $230. I sold my 580 (clarifying its history as well) to the local store, and got $55 which then I added to my budget. Earned the rest of the money through a side hustle as junior researcher at the uni where I'm currently studying.

That said, I kick myself sometimes for not opting for the 1080 Ti from the same seller. Sold for $400, and today I can only get a 1070 for that price around here. Good times.

I found this thread while idly browsing unanswered threads. Hope this means something to you, OP.

Sidenote: I recently watched Jayz's video about the general frustration towards contents pertaining to new PC hardware, and he mentioned the RTX 3000 series is a write-off. I agree wholeheartedly. Where I live, the only way to reliably get one of those is through scalpers. The worst I saw was 3060 selling for $1000!

Thank you for sharing your experience. 🙏🏻😀

Status
Not open for further replies.