A mystery problem that seems semi common

Sep 8, 2018
I have a home built machine that has worked fine for several years until I started trying to stream. I have had issue after issue and have eliminated the majority of them. My original setup:

MOBO: Asus X99 Deluxe
GPU: NVIDIA GTX970 (NVIDIA make and build)
PSU: EVGA Platinum rated 1000 P2
RAM: 4x 4GB 2133 Mhz Corsair Vengeance
HDD: Intel 240GB SSD/ 1TB Regular HDD(can't remember but no effect on system)
CPU: Intel Core i7‑5930K 3.5 GHz 6‑Core Processor ‑ 15 MB
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100
Other Fans: 6x Corsair fans mixed
Case:Raidmax (crappy case for expensive build I know)
Keyboard: Logitech Gen1 G910
Mouse: Gen1 G502
Mic: Yeti Blue
Headset: Astro A50 w/mod kit green
Monitors: 2x 27" Samsung Curved 1080p

The cpu, gpu, and psu never ran above low rated or normal level temps even when gaming. I did find that though I was running checks with the asus software to update bios, it was still out of date for sometime. The monitors were ran using hdmi with adapters to plug into display ports. Two fans for the radiator were plugged into the adapter for the radiator running from head of cooler. Ram was installed in recommended quad channel slots. Other four fans were running off mobo. cooling was designed to come in the front and top through radiator and exit through bottom and back. If computer fell asleep and was woke up radiator fans would run at highest rpm (believed this was due to a lack of corsair control software that I was unaware of and did not install). HDD and SSD were plugged into the sata high speed ports on mobo. All was working fine but sometimes the system, though all components showed running at normal levels of temp, would produce alot of heat underneath my desk. After gaming or streaming for some time I would usually experience some kind of issues, though as stated unit was not overheating according to all temp monitors in software. Everything seemed to be working fine.

I moved a few months ago and after hooking up setup I started trying to stream. My system started shutting down with a blue screen error. Was very frustrated and made sure all of updates for windows were ran to no avail. The computer also began starting itself up on its own 20-30 minutes or an hour sometimes after shutting down completely, I found after research this was due to a windows setting and it was corrected. I built another friends computer for him and another and another and all were working smoothly with no issues. So in my frustration I decided to rebuild and upgrade some parts in case my system was lagging due to age. It had originally had windows 8(yes I performed a fresh install of windows 10, no upgrade version) and the system was built 4-5 yrs ago. I upgraded it with:

CPU Cooler: H100i
Ram: 2x Corsair Vengeance 8GB 3000Mhz (in addition to original RAM)
Case: Cougar orange and black tempered glass
Fans: 3x Corsair RGB pack, 2x Cougar red fans(come with case)
Mic/headset: Corsair Pro something w/corsair headset stand
Keyboard: Razer Black Widow Chroma
Corsair: RGB Mousepad
Monitor: Samsung 24" Curved 1080p(in addition to other monitors)

All Fans are designed to pull air in and case is open so this allows for even more cooling with minimal temp differences. RAM would not recognize and after research found bios was not updating so I updated mobo to latest non beta version. All ram recognizes and match speeds working perfectly. Had issues with asus audio software causing issues with other software. Installed razer and corsair control software. All leds can be controlled on devices except ram, it will not recognize in corsair software. MOBO gives code AA, which I have come to understand means "all is well." The system works perfectly and is beautiful during every day tasks. Everything I have is plugged into a monster highly rated surge protector. I began streaming and all is well for a period of time then the unit shut down and gave a message of improper shut down. I tried again another time and made sure cooling was fine, began playing music through amazon music dashboard, running streamlabs obs, ran conan game and was fine for a short time then all usb devices became inoperable and the machine kept running like it was fine. Unplugging and plugging back in did nothing. After reset I attempted to run the same game and only had discord open to speak with friends while testing game, unit blinked off and immediately restarted with no error messages(this is what happens majority of tests) I have had the usb ports disable on a couple other occasions while testing but for the most part even if testing another game and only running discord along with it I will see the unit blink off power and restart like nothing happened. Error codes in system give me nothing I can make sense of that would explain issues.

I am at a loss, forums show that several other people have had issues with similar results but no answers seem to be found. I thought the detail may reveal something more if there was a better picture of the issue. I do not have other GPUs or PSUs to swap and try. My next steps are to update the GPU and if I am still having issues the PSU as well, if this does not solve it I will try sending my MOBO to ASUS though I don't really want to. Please help, I am losing my following by not having consistency in my stream. I am so discouraged that with all the knowledge money and time I have put in to this system I can not seem to make it work.

Solution
I see quite a few mistakes that you've done along the way.

1st one is PC shipping when you moved.
When you shipped your PC, did you do it as PC fully assembled or did you disassemble your PC and ship every component on it's retail (secure to shipping) package? Since assembled PC shipping is something best avoid because PC is very sensitive even to the smallest drops. If it isn't possible to ship your PC in parts, you need to take extreme care when shipping it as assembled. (In this case, i'd carry my PC on my hands all the way.)
Since your troubles start after moving and shipping your PC, my best guess is that your PC sustained some damage during transit.

2nd mistake you did was putting different speeds RAM in your system. Your 3000...

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
I see quite a few mistakes that you've done along the way.

1st one is PC shipping when you moved.
When you shipped your PC, did you do it as PC fully assembled or did you disassemble your PC and ship every component on it's retail (secure to shipping) package? Since assembled PC shipping is something best avoid because PC is very sensitive even to the smallest drops. If it isn't possible to ship your PC in parts, you need to take extreme care when shipping it as assembled. (In this case, i'd carry my PC on my hands all the way.)
Since your troubles start after moving and shipping your PC, my best guess is that your PC sustained some damage during transit.

2nd mistake you did was putting different speeds RAM in your system. Your 3000 Mhz RAM will run at 2133 Mhz, just like your old RAM and here, you wasted a lot of money. Either pull your 3000 Mhz RAM from your system to get rid of issues caused with RAM compatibility. Or pull your 2133 Mhz RAM from your system so you can run your newer RAM at speeds of 3000 Mhz with additional 20% better performance between 2133 Mhz and 3000 Mhz,
comparison: http://ram.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Corsair-Vengeance-LPX-DDR4-2133-C13-2x8GB-vs-Corsair-Vengeance-LED-DDR4-3000-C15-2x8GB/3543vsm156965

3rd mistake is running your PC with opened side panel where all fans are intake.
With that kind of airflow setup, your PC has no airflow path while fans push air into each other creating turbulence and hot spots. And with opened side panel, it doesn't make almost no difference if you have case fans at all. For proper airflow, mount your fans as follows: front & bottom - intake; top & rear - exhaust. Also, close your side panel so that there is a proper path for airflow through your PC.

You say that:"Everything I have is plugged into a monster highly rated surge protector.". Here i ask: By who the surge protector is highly rated? By salesperson in store or by you? Surge protector make and model (or part number) would be nice.

As far as what's currently wrong with your PC goes and without any additional info, i have 4x suspects:
* OS (infected with malware)
* MoBo (probably damaged during shipping)
* PSU (probably damaged during shipping)
* surge protector (unknown build quality)

Since what you're experiencing in most of the times is related to powering your PC. That's where PSU and surge protector come in. MoBo comes in due to the USB not detected symptom and OS comes in because PC symptoms are all over the place, happening inconsistently.

Solution