[SOLVED] A new GPU and a whole new rig later OR a whole new rig and a new GPU later?

Mar 2, 2019
Hey guys,

I find myself in quite a difficult situation, and since I'm not a professional in these things, I'm asking for your help.

I recently bought a 1440p 144fps monitor and since I play games like Overwatch and The Witcher 3, I started to consider buying myself an upgrade to my current setup, as I usually find myself playing around 60 fps, which does not use the full potential of my new monitor. On my new upgrade I plan to spend up to 800-900 € (approx. 910-1020 USD) and the problem is my current motherboard with old CPU and RAM sockets.

Thus my current options are either:
  • Buy a whole new rig now (CPU, motherboard, RAM) and a new GPU later
  • Buy a new GPU now and later a CPU, motherboard and RAM

The question for you guys is - which one of these options do you think is better for me to choose? I have already considered buying the graphics card first, namely the ''MSI V372-031R GeForce RTX 2080 Gaming X Trio Video Card Black'' for 830€ from a German Amazon. Do you think this would be a wise choice?

Also, my current setup here:

AMD FX-8350 Black Edition, Socket-AM3+
Gigabyte GeForce G1 GAMING GTX 960 4GB
MSI 970 GAMING, Socket-AM3+
HyperX Fury DDR3 1866MHz 16GB Black
Cooler Master G550M, 550W PSU

Thanks for any help

Solution
A perennial question, and it depends on what kinds of games you play.
Here is my stock approach to that question:
Some games are graphics limited like fast action shooters.
Others are cpu core speed limited like strategy, sims, and mmo.
Multiplayer tends to like many threads.

You need to find out which.
------------------------------------------------------------
To help clarify your CPU/GPU options, run these two tests:

a) Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

b) Limit your cpu, either by reducing the OC, or, in windows power management...

Achaios

Honorable
BANNED
May 28, 2013
Nope.

You need a CPU upgrade more than you need a GPU upgrade. With that Faildozer you have, I am really amazed you are actually seeing 60 FPS at all.

What would happen if you buy an RTX 2080 with that CPU is, it won't be able to drive it to its full potential and you are going to have a bottleneck.

So, make room in your budget for a new CPU, mobo, RAM as well as GPU.

Mar 2, 2019
Thanks!

Would you consider this a good upgrade? Of course I'm planning to change the GPU, but that will have to come later.

Asrock X370 Killer SLI Mainboard
Kingston HyperX Fury DDR4 HX424C15FB2K2/16 RAM Kit 16GB (2x8GB) (2400MHz DDR4 CL15 DIMM)
AMD Ryzen 7 2700X Processor (3.7GHz, 8 Core, Socket AM4)
Nzxt Kraken Watercooling X52, 240mm

My box is ATX

Achaios

Honorable
BANNED
May 28, 2013
Well, since you asked:

1. Personally, I would never buy a mobo from Asrock or Gigabyte or MSI because I consider them to be Class B brands. I only buy ASUS motherboards.

2. I do not recommend to anyone to watercool their rig. I always recommend air coolers because:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhlL_IWJqag

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6278v9TF6Uo

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63TijyKjs34

3. I would never buy an AMD CPU because of inferior Single Threaded performance compared to contemporary Intel CPUs as I am a gamer.

4. AFAIK, Ryzen CPU's benefit tremendously from faster RAM which increases their performance so if you buy a Ryzen CPU buy faster RAM.

That said, there is nothing objectively wrong with your proposed upgrade.

Well, since you asked:

1. Personally, I would never buy a mobo from Asrock or Gigabyte or MSI because I consider them to be Class B brands. I only buy ASUS motherboards.

2. I do not recommend to anyone to watercool their rig. I always recommend air coolers because:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhlL_IWJqag

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6278v9TF6Uo

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63TijyKjs34

3. I would never buy an AMD CPU because of inferior Single Threaded performance compared to contemporary Intel CPUs as I am a gamer.

4. AFAIK, Ryzen CPU's benefit tremendously from faster RAM which increases their performance so if you buy a Ryzen CPU buy faster RAM.

That said, there is nothing objectively wrong with your proposed upgrade.
I wouldn't listen to this guy if I was you and he is scare mongering you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks!

Would you consider this a good upgrade? Of course I'm planning to change the GPU, but that will have to come later.

Asrock X370 Killer SLI Mainboard
Kingston HyperX Fury DDR4 HX424C15FB2K2/16 RAM Kit 16GB (2x8GB) (2400MHz DDR4 CL15 DIMM)
AMD Ryzen 7 2700X Processor (3.7GHz, 8 Core, Socket AM4)
Nzxt Kraken Watercooling X52, 240mm

My box is ATX
Your system here is OK - but you should use at least 3000 RAM or better still 3200 (as it is normally the same price).

Another hint - don't ever try to convert Euro or your currency to US Dollars - The fact is, things are cheaper in the US (less tax) and it makes you seem you now have $1000 to spend when in fact reality is it is what we call Euro for Dollar - if it costs 1 Dollar in America, it costs 1 Euro in Europe or 1 Pound in the UK. The conversion just doesn't work.
So basically you have 800 Euro and would you like someone to help you build a better system? There is nothing wrong with AMD or ASRock, Gigabyte, ASUS, MSI etc

Also how soon do you want to upgrade? Next month or sometime later this year? I ask because the NEW AMD Chips should be released in July

Mar 2, 2019
Your system here is OK - but you should use at least 3000 RAM or better still 3200 (as it is normally the same price).

Another hint - don't ever try to convert Euro or your currency to US Dollars - The fact is, things are cheaper in the US (less tax) and it makes you seem you now have $1000 to spend when in fact reality is it is what we call Euro for Dollar - if it costs 1 Dollar in America, it costs 1 Euro in Europe or 1 Pound in the UK. The conversion just doesn't work.
So basically you have 800 Euro and would you like someone to help you build a better system? There is nothing wrong with AMD or ASRock, Gigabyte, ASUS, MSI etc

Also how soon do you want to upgrade? Next month or sometime later this year? I ask because the NEW AMD Chips should be released in July
Do you think that the new AMD Chips will come with another socket again? I was planning to upgrade by the end of this month already.

By the way, I might then consider buying a RAM with at least 3000MHz, as more people suggested that to me already. Thanks a lot

A perennial question, and it depends on what kinds of games you play.
Here is my stock approach to that question:
Some games are graphics limited like fast action shooters.
Others are cpu core speed limited like strategy, sims, and mmo.
Multiplayer tends to like many threads.

You need to find out which.
------------------------------------------------------------
To help clarify your CPU/GPU options, run these two tests:

a) Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

b) Limit your cpu, either by reducing the OC, or, in windows power management, limit the maximum cpu% to something like 70%.
Go to control panel/power options/change plan settings/change advanced power settings/processor power management/maximum processor state/
This will simulate what a lack of cpu power will do.
Conversely what a 30% improvement in core speed might do.

You should also experiment with removing one or more cores/threads. You can do this in the windows msconfig boot advanced options option.
You will need to reboot for the change to take effect. Set the number of threads to less than you have.
This will tell you how sensitive your games are to the benefits of many threads.
If you see little difference, your game does not need all the threads you have.

It is possible that both tests are positive, indicating that you have a well balanced system,
and both cpu and gpu need to be upgraded to get better gaming FPS.
-------------------------------------------------------------

A graphics card upgrade is normally the easiest.
It can be carried forward to a new build.
In your case, a 500w psu may not be sufficient for a RTX2080.
Here is a chart for other options"
http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm

I suspect you may find yourself cpu limited.
Mainly because the individual cores of a FX are very slow.

For a cpu upgrade, you should be looking at a current ryzen or intel 9th gen processor and an appropriate motherboard.
Either will also need DDR4 ram.

Your proposed 2700X cpu upgrade is reasonable.
Ryzen likes fast ram so you might up that spec.
I am in the minority here and think that a i5-9600K or i7-9700K @5.0 would also be appropriate with a z390 based motherboard. ryzen oc tops out around 4.3.
I am also in the minority and suggest an air cooler if your case has 160mm available for a cooler.
A noctua NH-D15s will cool equally well.

My canned rant on liquid cooling:
------------------------start of rant-------------------
You buy a liquid cooler to be able to extract an extra multiplier or two out of your OC.
How much do you really need?
I do not much like all in one liquid coolers when a good air cooler like a Noctua or phanteks can do the job just as well.
A liquid cooler will be expensive, noisy, less reliable, and will not cool any better
in a well ventilated case.
Liquid cooling is really air cooling, it just puts the heat exchange in a different place.
The orientation of the radiator will cause a problem.
If you orient it to take in cool air from the outside, you will cool the cpu better, but the hot air then circulates inside the case heating up the graphics card and motherboard.
If you orient it to exhaust(which I think is better) , then your cpu cooling will be less effective because it uses pre heated case air.
Past that, A AIO radiator complicates creating a positive pressure filtered cooling setup which can keep your parts clean.
And... I have read too many tales of woe when a liquid cooler leaks.
Google for AIO leaks to see what can happen.
While unlikely, leaks do happen.

I would support an AIO cooler primarily in a space restricted case.
If one puts looks over function, that is a personal thing; not for me though.
-----------------------end of rant--------------------------

Your pc will be quieter, more reliable, and will be cooled equally well with a decent air cooler.

Solution
Do you think that the new AMD Chips will come with another socket again? I was planning to upgrade by the end of this month already.

By the way, I might then consider buying a RAM with at least 3000MHz, as more people suggested that to me already. Thanks a lot

All AMD chips will work on ALL AM4 Sockets until 2020. There will be a new chipset out in July with the new CPUs called 550/570 - a few changes sure, but will work on ALL previous AM4 chipsets guaranteed (only a BIOS update which is normal for new CPU's)

AIO's are not just there for OC'ing, they are also there because of looks, cleanlinese, aesthics and for me noise. I prefer near silent PC rather than rushing air from fans.
Don't be put off from AIO's.
There is a reason why they sell so well, and if they were as dangerous as people say, then there wouldn't be a market for them.

For instance, how many people complain about the crap food of McDonalds, lots and lots. But McDonalds sells millions everyday, because people like it for different reasons. So you got to see, some people just don't like them (as bove) or some people like them (me) because they are always very quiet.

As for leaks most AIO's are very good, it's when people make custom systems and make them fit badly when problems arise.

TRENDING THREADS