marliaths

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2010
Ii just recently built my new computer and I got the EVGA GTX 460 1 GB OC External Exhaust version. It is a really nice card but it is far too loud. It has a VGA return policy from Newegg so I am going to return it and get a new card. What would be my best bet for $200? I did my research and it seems as if the MSI N460GTX Hawk GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 and the MSI N460GTX CYCLONE 1GD5/OC GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 are good bets but I would like to know what you guys think is my best choice ?

I know there is also the Talon version of the hawk, is it worth it over the regular?

marliaths

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2010
Would you say that both the Hawk/Talon and Gigabyte are better than the cyclone? And is the Gigabyte as reliable as the MSI, it seems like there are problems for people where it doesn't boot up?

The Cyclone is more of the basic model for MSI, but still a good card. It also rates at 43dB for noise. Most forum posts I have seen put MSI, Gigabyte, EVGA, and Asus as some of the better manufacturers in terms of quality/reliability. If you looked at the last page of that SOC review I linked, they mention that the SOC appears to have copied the design of the MSI Hawk, so both are very similar in construction. The big difference is in the heatsink.

marliaths

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2010
All the prices for the graphics cards are higher now than they were before, do you think I should wait till Christmas or just go with it? I'm going to get the Hawk because it would be the cheapest after the rebate. What is your experience with MSI rebates?

TRENDING THREADS