[SOLVED] A new GPU

Geralt321

Reputable
May 22, 2020
Hello guys, I wanted to buy a new GPU but could use some help with choosing the right one.
My system is:
PSU: EVGA 600w
Mobo: ASRock b450 pro4-f
CPU: AMD ryzen 5 2400g
RAM: 2x8 2666mhz ddr4

Basically I'm choosing between these two:
GAINWARD GeForce RTX 2060 6G Ghost OC

or

ASUS DUAL GeForce RTX2060 O6G EVO

Is there big difference between these two? Which one would you pick? Any help would be very appreciated:)
P.s. I'll very likely upgrade my CPU to ryzen 5 3600 in near future

Solution
It's serial number is 100-W1-0600-K2, so W1 it is then. Yet so far I had zero issues related to PSU.

And it's possible you won't have any issues with it.

But when you do have issues, the best case is inexplicable shutdowns or crashes. The "mystery" case is that it doesn't provide clean/steady power to your components, thus degrading equipment faster than would otherwise happen.

If failure occurs, you want JUST the PSU to fail. You do not want a poor quality PSU either failing and taking out other (expensive) components with it, or possibly catching fire.

As a safety device, a PSU isn't something you should gamble on.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I can't imagine there's much of a difference, really. Maybe minor clock speed tweaks. I think it would be a matter of if they both have the same length warranty or not.

Of concern is the PSU. EVGA makes some good PSUs, and some terrible ones. Which exact EVGA PSU do you have?

They have BOTH good and not very good models and most of their products that can be recommended are those based on various Super Flower platforms Do NOT simply choose a power supply because it carries the EVGA name, because while they certainly have some excellent models, they have some absolute turds as well and I mean models well known for failure practically every time they are put into a gaming or other system with moderately demanding requirements.

Not very good are the W1, N1, B1, B3 (Most models failed Aris Mpitziopoulos stringent testing), BQ, BR, BT and G1 NEX models. EVGA seems to like releasing a new model every other week so there are possibly other unlisted models that you'd do well to avoid beyond these. When in doubt, if you can't find a review on an EVGA unit, it's probably because it is either too new, or it's quality is seriously lacking.

Good models are the B2, GQ, G2, G2L, G3, P2 and T2 models. Seems that the EVGA G5 series might be best avoided. The OEM is FSP on the one reliable review so far which was for the 1000w model, and while likely not strictly FSP's fault, the unit did not look like a worthy successor to the G2 or even the G3, which itself was not as good as the G2 but still better than most units out there. There are other, better choices than the G5 at this price point including their own G2 models, which, are getting hard to find. I think even the GQ units would be a better choice.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
It's serial number is 100-W1-0600-K2, so W1 it is then. Yet so far I had zero issues related to PSU.

And it's possible you won't have any issues with it.

But when you do have issues, the best case is inexplicable shutdowns or crashes. The "mystery" case is that it doesn't provide clean/steady power to your components, thus degrading equipment faster than would otherwise happen.

If failure occurs, you want JUST the PSU to fail. You do not want a poor quality PSU either failing and taking out other (expensive) components with it, or possibly catching fire.

As a safety device, a PSU isn't something you should gamble on.

Solution

Geralt321

Reputable
May 22, 2020
Thanks, I'll definitely take a look at those PSUs and most likely upgrade that current one as well. But I have one more question about that RTX 2060. Do you think that ryzen 5 2400g will bottleneck it? And if yes, would an upgrade to ryzen 5 3600 help significantly?

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Throw the word bottleneck out of your vocabulary. Ignore any and all online bottleneck calculators - they are UTTER GARBAGE.

It's a matter of the following questions:
  • What is your monitor's resolution?
  • What is your monitor's refresh rate?
  • Does your monitor have FreeSync, GSync, or neither?
  • What specific games are you playing.

There may be some cases where with your combo, the CPU is the weak-point. There may be some cases on that very same system where the GPU is the weak point.

Or, put another way: With all other parts unchanged, if you're playing at 720p, then the GPU will be bored out of its mind. If you're playing at 4K resolution, you may well bring the GPU to its knees.

If people start trying to "help" by telling you about bottleneck, you can be pretty sure they don't know what the hell they're talking about.

TRENDING THREADS