Question A new problem. Rtx 2060 super issue. Black screen

Jul 6, 2020
Recently I’ve been seeing an odd error. What seems to be happening is that my graphics card does the following:

With my two monitor setup the screens both seem to disconnect, then screen one connects, before screen two reconnects. During that time, the sound still works, I can still interact with what is on screen (ended up clicking and hearing the gun fire in game). All the windows outside of msi afterburner move to screen 1. I’m not sure what is causing this nor if it is a cause to believe that the gpu is dying.

The specs I remember off the top of my head are

24 gb ddr3 ram
Evga rtx 2060 super 8gb
Intel i-5 4690
700w power supply, model I cannot recall
motherboard is an msi, not an rog one though.

Any help would be appreciated

Jul 6, 2020
Could be the GPU, maybe the PSU. But first you should try updating the drivers after uninstalling the current ones using Display Driver Uninstaller.

Reinstalled and benchmarked with FurMark and stressed the cpu to see what happened at max cpu and gpu usage. Nothing has happened yet, but I’m not sure how to recreate the situation as it is truly 100% random when the error occurs.

Jul 6, 2020
Just as I say that, it does it again.

Playing Wolfenstein new order on one screen, and then having an hd video playing on the other. The computer screens go black for a second, the windows disconnect noise plays, and msi says that the gpu has been disconnected. I'm not sure where to go to from here. I have two year return policy on this card, but I'd like to make sure it is or isn't the card for sure. If it is, the card hasn't displayed any other issues other than some minor stuttering, but I assumed that this was from my processor being older or something like that.

Last edited:
Just as I say that, it does it again.

Playing Wolfenstein new order on one screen, and then having an hd video playing on the other. The computer screens go black for a second, the windows disconnect noise plays, and msi says that the gpu has been disconnected. I'm not sure where to go to from here. I have two year return policy on this card, but I'd like to make sure it is or isn't the card for sure. If it is, the card hasn't displayed any other issues other than some minor stuttering, but I assumed that this was from my processor being older or something like that.
You could try using the integrated graphics of your CPU to see if the issue also happens with that. Although this will not rule out the PSU if the error does NOT occur on the iGPU, and it will also not rule out the GPU. But if the error DOES occur on the iGPU, at least you can safely say that the GPU is not the problem. Or, if you have a spare GPU or you could borrow one, preferably something that has similar power needs as the RTX 2060 super, then that would be ideal to determine the source here - whether it's the GPU or PSU.

One more thing you could try is plugging the GPU into a different PCI-E slot if one is available on your motherboard. If it's a bad motherboard slot, then using a different slot should also resolve the issue, and since your GPU is being disconnected, these are really the only points of failure possible - either the GPU is faulty, or the PSU suddenly cuts off the power to the GPU, causing it to shutdown and disconnect, or the motherboard slot is momentarily becoming dysfunctional. I'd suggest starting with the slot swap if it is an option.

Jul 6, 2020
You could try using the integrated graphics of your CPU to see if the issue also happens with that. Although this will not rule out the PSU if the error does NOT occur on the iGPU, and it will also not rule out the GPU. But if the error DOES occur on the iGPU, at least you can safely say that the GPU is not the problem. Or, if you have a spare GPU or you could borrow one, preferably something that has similar power needs as the RTX 2060 super, then that would be ideal to determine the source here - whether it's the GPU or PSU.

One more thing you could try is plugging the GPU into a different PCI-E slot if one is available on your motherboard. If it's a bad motherboard slot, then using a different slot should also resolve the issue, and since your GPU is being disconnected, these are really the only points of failure possible - either the GPU is faulty, or the PSU suddenly cuts off the power to the GPU, causing it to shutdown and disconnect, or the motherboard slot is momentarily becoming dysfunctional. I'd suggest starting with the slot swap if it is an option.
I removed the card, swapped it, swapped the power cable to another one that was coming off the power supply and tried to recreate the situation multiple times. It seems to have been fixed. I’m thinking it might have been some type of glitch in software rather than the card. I’ve thrown everything at it again, even under the problematic circumstances and the problem has yet to return. Here’s hoping it stays that way for good.

Maybe win10 doesn’t play nice when waking the computer up from sleeping, but I ran it hard all day and had zero oddities. I’m hopeful that this bug or whatever it was is gone. The gpu seems to have no other issues to speak of.