sephen

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2011
Hello,Andrew here with a question about computer motherboards / processors / chipsets, or what ever you prefer to call them.

I am currently running a 2005 sony Vaio tower. With a Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz processor with two gb of ram.

However, I game quite a bit; World of Warcraft, Star Trek Online -- And I want to get Battlefield 3, an extremely advanced game.

Does anyone recommend or know of a fairly cheap(Below $200, preferably) but fast and effective processor that could handle online and high-intensity graphics gaming?

Any and all support would be appreciated. Thanks a bunch. :bounce:

sephen

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2011
I would like to replace the processor in my computer. Everything else is alright. I even just recently updated he graphics card. I want to know a good processor to buy for intense gaming. While still being moderately cheap.

deadjon

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2009
If you can tell me the exact model of your tower I'll be able to throw some ideas out, some LGA775 motherboards arent compatible with newer bits and I wouldnt be sure what to recommend without some more info.

deadjon

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2009
Ive just had a look at all the towers using 3.0ghz P4s and it would seem you can only upgrade to a Pentium EE 3.46ghz.
Its not worth the upgrade and I would recommend an entirely new build

ulysses35

Distinguished
Stephen,

have you tried using CPUz to identify the make & model number of the motherboard ? use google to find / donwload cpuz and this will tell you what manufacturer provided the motherboard in your PC.

Once you have this info you will be able to look into better detail on what you can upgrade.

$hawn

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
remove out ur graphics card, and sell the rest....u can build yourself a much better system with the money....no point in upgrading that processor....LGA 775 is practically dead anyway...and the LGA775 core2quad chips cost a bomb!!!

diellur

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
Whether or not LGA775 is dead or not is beside the point, it still works. For a new system, you obviously wouldn't pick that socket but for a budget upgrade of an existing system, it's still perfectly viable.

Sephen, if you have no luck with CPU-Z, open up your PC (I'm assuming you're OK with this if you upgraded the graphics card) and see if you can see the make / model of your motherboard written anywhere on it. Also, put up your full specs...it helps us help you. :)

sephen

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2011
I downloaded and installed CPU-Z here is all the info it gathered on my CPU:

Processor-
Name: Intel Pentium 4 530
Codename: Prescott
Package: Socket 775 LGA
Technology: 90 nm
Core Voltage: 1.344V
Intel(R) Pentium (R) 4 CPU 3.00ghz

sephen