A New Version Of Cortana Rolls Out To Windows Insiders

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Is anyone even using Cortana? Microsoft needs to quite with useless features.

Max_x2

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2013
I'm still waiting anxiously for a much needed feature: an off button

And I'm still waiting for people to use google more efficiently and know what they're talking about instead of whining for no reason, but I guess that will never really happen.

Quixit

Reputable
Dec 22, 2014
I'm not sure why most people would even want these features, almost everyone has either an Android phone or a iPhone to be their personal organizer already. We don't need our PCs doing the same things as well.

firefoxx04

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
Cortana was somewhat useful when I tried it out. I really need a personnel assistant to open ANY application I ask it to. If I say, open Steam.. she needs to know what that is, not do a bing search for me.

I was at a client location today installing a printer driver. She uses Windows 10 and it was running great. Thought about going back to it until I remembered all the BS I had to deal with. SMB performance was junk, Default PDF player junk. Call home functions sending data non stop. No thanks.

alextheblue

Distinguished
I'm not sure why most people would even want these features, almost everyone has either an Android phone or a iPhone to be their personal organizer already. We don't need our PCs doing the same things as well.

Windows 10 runs on things other than a conventional giant tower PC. Like tablets and hybrid devices. Would it make sense if Apple only had Siri on iPhone but not iPad? Why NOT have it available on all Win10 devices? You can set stuff up with Cortana to remind you of something while you're doing something on your Win10 device, and have it go with you on your smartphone - Cortana is multiplatform.
I'm still waiting anxiously for a much needed feature: an off button
You can already disable it.

ldogg1981

Reputable
Apr 30, 2014
There may be an option to turn off Cortana, but the process will continue to run in the background even when turned off. And since Cortana is always listening I would assume that it is listening when it is running in the background even when turned off. While there is an option to turn off Cortana, is it ever really off?

Quixit

Reputable
Dec 22, 2014

Most of those things run Windows 10 Mobile, which despite the advertising is significantly different from Windows 10.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Most of those things run Windows 10 Mobile, which despite the advertising is significantly different from Windows 10.

This is completely untrue. Windows 10 mobile isn't even officially out, and I've only ever seen it on phones. Most if not all Windows 10 tablets and hybrids are equipped with x86 processors and run FULL Windows 10. It has a twin UI so I can almost sort of understand why you'd be fooled. You can switch between the touch friendly full-screen UI and traditional desktop at will. You can even have them switch automatically (optional, can be disabled) when you dock/change configuration/etc.

Quixit

Reputable
Dec 22, 2014

You're being intentionally dense, my original post was about phones. We were always talking about phones. Most people don't carry a 8+ inch tablet or hybrid around with them 100% of the time so I can't see how those factor into my point at all. My point was that this feature is only useful to people who don't have Android phones or iPhones.

alextheblue

Distinguished
You're being intentionally dense, my original post was about phones. We were always talking about phones. Most people don't carry a 8+ inch tablet or hybrid around with them 100% of the time so I can't see how those factor into my point at all. My point was that this feature is only useful to people who don't have Android phones or iPhones.

When someone questions why would we want Cortana on our PCs, PCs are now involved in the conversation, and not only phones. I pointed out the fact that Windows 10 (and thus Cortana) is available on not only conventional PCs, but modern tablets and hybrids, small and large. In particular the smaller tablets are media consumption devices similar to iPads. You said in reply that most of those devices are running Win10 Mobile. That's not true.

Back to why Cortana is good on the PC: Why not? It's moderately handy. If you're oldschool you can turn it off. I forgot to mention I like being able to highlight a name in Edge and right click and hit "ask Cortana". It's handy. Anyway, people use Siri on iPads even though they have iPhones. Cortana is available on Android and iOS as well, but that doesn't make it useless on x86 devices. You could be watching full-screen Netflix on your Win10 device and you can have set an alarm or other reminder real quick so you don't lose track of time and forget to do something.

Having a digital assistant is expected of modern devices. Lacking one would be stranger than the other way around.

DrakeFS

Reputable
Aug 11, 2014
Didn't Microsoft learn anything from Google? Wasn't there a huge brouhaha when it was found the google was reading all your emails to index them for searching? So now MS is going to do the same thing with Cortana... Good idea.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Didn't Microsoft learn anything from Google? Wasn't there a huge brouhaha when it was found the google was reading all your emails to index them for searching? So now MS is going to do the same thing with Cortana... Good idea.

Yes, sort of. Keep in mind that Google wasn't just indexing for search. ALL emails are searchable by YOU as long as you have access to your email server. You can search through ISP-stored email via a third-party email client using POP3, for example. No, this was Google combing your emails to mine data. Including, but not limited to, mining for advertisement purposes. As in, hey, here's an email where he talks about buying a new car. Boom lots of targeted ads about buying new cars headed to a banner ad near you, just as an obvious example of one thing they did with your data.

Plus, you can turn off Cortana. You couldn't do too much about Google searching your emails at the time they got caught with their hand in the cookie jar. They may have added more control later, I don't know - I don't use MS or Google email and I didn't follow up on the story. But at least initially you weren't given a choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS