A newbie question about wireless internet

Monokonos

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2014
So im about to purchase an used asus wifi card to replace the abysmally bad usb adapter that I currently have. The only problem is that the seller stated he couldn't get the 5ghz and AC to work. It seems to be a common problem so maybe I could get it to work with the help of internet but will the card still be usable if I can't?

Solution
which model is it?
I've done some research on network adapters I would stay away from the ac56 because I've read its known to disconnect.

I'd recommend TP-Link Archer T6E AC1300 since it worked for me.
I do have to say I don't have full reception bars even though the router is in the room above me.
Do a signal check in your room beforehand
Check your wifi modem/router for compatibility.

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
Do you have an AC router? You wont get the AC bandwidth without an AC router, and then you need a fast enough internet connection to make use of AC speeds. I cant see any reason 5ghz wont work assuming you have a dual band router with a 5ghz band. But yes it will work at 2.4ghz wireless N if you dont have a 5ghz or AC router.

It's already broke and you are considering buying it? Saving money by buying broken merchandise seems like a bad recipe. You most likely will be going from bad to worse. THe 2.4GHz radio MIGHT still be functional. I'd search elsewhere. Even a used functional Tp-link wireless card would be better.

USAFRet

Titan

Why are you considering buying something that the original owner can't get working?
It may be a user error, or it may be actually broken.

Unless it was like $5 incl shipping...move on.

L0stChild

Reputable
Mar 8, 2016
which model is it?
I've done some research on network adapters I would stay away from the ac56 because I've read its known to disconnect.

I'd recommend TP-Link Archer T6E AC1300 since it worked for me.
I do have to say I don't have full reception bars even though the router is in the room above me.
Do a signal check in your room beforehand
Check your wifi modem/router for compatibility.

Solution