[SOLVED] A Noobs Question regarding upgrading (specifically RAM and Storage)

Oct 23, 2019
Hey there everybody, i just newly registered so i hope im doing everything alright.

An old Friend of mine set up my whole gaming pc maybe 5 years ago. While i had zero knowledge back in the day, it hasnt improved very much. So im trying to get some help here in this forum.

This is my Setup:
GPU: Zotac GTX 970
CPU: Intel I5 4690K 3.5GHz
RAM: 2x4GB DDR3 Crucial Ballistix Sport
MB: MSI (Micro Star) B85M-G43
PSU: BeQuiet! System Power 7 (BQ SU7 450W)
Storage: 120GB SSD; 500GB HDD

1.) My biggest concern right now is my storage. It just isn't enought for modern games anymore. So i thought about buying a 1TB Samsung 860 Evo SSD. Im however unsure how it would work out in my setup. My HDD is powered with an S-ATA cable, then going into the SSD, and splitting up twice more. The 3rd connector however states HDD/DVD instead of S-ATA. Would it still work, or should i plug the HDD into the 3rd Cut and the new SSD into the first one? I also need to buy a white 6GB/s Sata Cable for Data Transfer, and a 3.5" Adapter, right? Or is it generally a better option to buy a SSHD? With my current HDD i have problems with the enviorement, for example, of GTA V not loading fast enough, when travelling with fast vehicles.

2.) Another thing i was thinking about, was upgrading my Ram, since i often hear it isnt enough. I used Crucial Compatibility Website and it told me i have 4 Ram Slots; 2 of 2 banks are used. Looking into the pc, i see my Ram plugged into black slots. Next to it theres 2 more, that are colored blue. My idea was to buy another 2x4GB of the same Ram. Would that work out and make sense?

3.) Lastly i gave my 970 a slight overclock. I wanted to copy other peoples overclocks, however it wasnt able to increase the power limit beyong 105% in MSI Afterburner. I have heard about needing to change Bios Settings, however i know nothing about that.

I would love to get some feedback and helpful answers. As ive stated im a noob, when it comes to the Technical Stuff.

Greetings

Reactions: Jason H.
Solution
adding storage:
look at the motherboard where the SATA cables are plugged in. How many more SATA slots do you have available?
I would probably just replace the 500GB HD with an SSD. Maybe get an external drive dock for the HD you can use for storage; game installer packages, media, etc.

if you can, download an image of your motherboard from MSI or wherever and post it here.

adding memory:
there is never a guarantee that separate RAM packages will work together at their stated speeds or at all, even if they are the same brand and exact model/specs. It may be worth a try but be prepared to return or sell them if they don't function correctly together.

it may be a better idea to start investing in a newer system that is...
adding storage:
look at the motherboard where the SATA cables are plugged in. How many more SATA slots do you have available?
I would probably just replace the 500GB HD with an SSD. Maybe get an external drive dock for the HD you can use for storage; game installer packages, media, etc.

if you can, download an image of your motherboard from MSI or wherever and post it here.

adding memory:
there is never a guarantee that separate RAM packages will work together at their stated speeds or at all, even if they are the same brand and exact model/specs. It may be worth a try but be prepared to return or sell them if they don't function correctly together.

it may be a better idea to start investing in a newer system that is more up to date, if that is an option.

OC'ing GPU:
just start reading articles and watching online guides/videos regarding GPU overclocking and you should be able to get some decent results with that card.

Solution
Hey there everybody, i just newly registered so i hope im doing everything alright.

An old Friend of mine set up my whole gaming pc maybe 5 years ago. While i had zero knowledge back in the day, it hasnt improved very much. So im trying to get some help here in this forum.

This is my Setup:
GPU: Zotac GTX 970
CPU: Intel I5 4690K 3.5GHz
RAM: 2x4GB DDR3 Crucial Ballistix Sport
MB: MSI (Micro Star) B85M-G43
PSU: BeQuiet! System Power 7 (BQ SU7 450W)
Storage: 120GB SSD; 500GB HDD

1.) My biggest concern right now is my storage. It just isn't enought for modern games anymore. So i thought about buying a 1TB Samsung 860 Evo SSD. Im however unsure how it would work out in my setup. My HDD is powered with an S-ATA cable, then going into the SSD, and splitting up twice more. The 3rd connector however states HDD/DVD instead of S-ATA. Would it still work, or should i plug the HDD into the 3rd Cut and the new SSD into the first one? I also need to buy a white 6GB/s Sata Cable for Data Transfer, and a 3.5" Adapter, right? Or is it generally a better option to buy a SSHD? With my current HDD i have problems with the enviorement, for example, of GTA V not loading fast enough, when travelling with fast vehicles.

2.) Another thing i was thinking about, was upgrading my Ram, since i often hear it isnt enough. I used Crucial Compatibility Website and it told me i have 4 Ram Slots; 2 of 2 banks are used. Looking into the pc, i see my Ram plugged into black slots. Next to it theres 2 more, that are colored blue. My idea was to buy another 2x4GB of the same Ram. Would that work out and make sense?

3.) Lastly i gave my 970 a slight overclock. I wanted to copy other peoples overclocks, however it wasnt able to increase the power limit beyong 105% in MSI Afterburner. I have heard about needing to change Bios Settings, however i know nothing about that.

I would love to get some feedback and helpful answers. As ive stated im a noob, when it comes to the Technical Stuff.

Greetings

Do you have a budget limit? Would you be willing to also upgrade the mobo and possibly the gpu?

Whats your cash limit on a pc upgrade?