Jedoh

Honorable
Nov 25, 2014
Sometimes, almost randomly but usually when the pc is under some decent amount of stress (Working in CAD or Gaming) the pc would just freeze entirely, forcing a hard shut down.

After a reboot I am often met with this blue screen:

RESTORE
Your pc/Device needs to be repaired.
The operating system couldn't be loaded because the system registry file is missing or contains errors.
File: \WINDOWS\system32\winload.exe
Error Code: 0xc000000e

If I try to proceed through this screen pressing enter to try boot again, I'm met with the same screen, and if I try to follow the restore options, the issue does not get fixed and will be stuck here.

What DOES work is: I have an SSD where i have installed windows, and 2 HD of 1TB each - one more recent than the other.
I power down, unplug the HDDs from the Motherboard and the PSU, boot the pc only with the SSD, and the screen is gone, windows functions perfectly; so I boot off, re-plug both HDDs into PSU and MB, and boot away - and problem is (momentarily) solved.

PC specs are:
CPU: Intel Core i7-9700k 3.60GHz
RAM: 2x8Gb Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3200C16W Vengeange LPX DDR4 3200 Mhz C16
Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus Z390 PRO
GPU: AMD R9 280
Storage:
931GB Seagate ST1000DM003-1CH162 (SATA )
931GB Seagate ST1000DM003-1SB102 (SATA )
238GB Crucial_CT256MX100SSD1 (SATA (SSD))
PSU: Seasonic FOCUS Plus Gold 750W

What could be the issue here? Corrupt Hard disks? How would I go about it trouble-shooting them?...
Thank you for all your help - stay safe.

Solution
It isn't common for a corrupt drive, even if rotten to the end of its life, to block Windows from booting. Far shot, but were the HDD's in while installing Windows? Have you ever installed Windows on these drives? Also, which restore options did you try? From Windows itself, or a rescue media on a USB drive?

We should probably rule off the possibility of a corrupt drive while at it. Rule of the thumb, back up anything you hold dear. If a drive is one foot in the grave, it'll most likely give up in a disk check.

Get a administrator command console (write cmd to search bar then choose "Run as administrator" and run the following:
chkdsk /f x: (x being the drives you suspect, you can go with an /r for extra scans but it might take...

howtobeironic

Honorable
Jun 16, 2018
It isn't common for a corrupt drive, even if rotten to the end of its life, to block Windows from booting. Far shot, but were the HDD's in while installing Windows? Have you ever installed Windows on these drives? Also, which restore options did you try? From Windows itself, or a rescue media on a USB drive?

We should probably rule off the possibility of a corrupt drive while at it. Rule of the thumb, back up anything you hold dear. If a drive is one foot in the grave, it'll most likely give up in a disk check.

Get a administrator command console (write cmd to search bar then choose "Run as administrator" and run the following:
chkdsk /f x: (x being the drives you suspect, you can go with an /r for extra scans but it might take 24-36 hours for each drive, also, chkdsk might cause loss of data, so be sure to backup)

If it says "chkdsk could not find any errors" then it is most likely not a bad drive.

Solution