A pentium/ryzen with a GTX 970

Aug 23, 2014
I am planning to build a new PC in about 6 months.I found a GTX 970(used) for 150$ with shipping included to Kuwait.I am planning to build it with the pentium g4560 and because I am not buying it now I can wait for ryzen. I will probably build with a 4 core 8 thread processor or a 6 core 12 thread one . Should I go for the Rx 470 or 480 instead

Solution

I can't really vouch for a website in your location, that price seems normal for the CPU.

As for the RX 470 its good, but if you can afford an RX 480, based on your plan to upgrade, you really are better off with it.

ScottMescudder

Commendable
Feb 1, 2017
Definitely the RX 480. Now if you want to do mostly 4k gaming go with the 8gb version rather than the 4gb. Although if you plan to stay 1440p and 1080p and below then go with the 4gb. You won't see any if at all a difference between the 4gb and 8gb during 1080p and 1440p. If you plan on keeping the budget for the GPU lower due to the Ryzen being close to 700$ish then go with the 4gb 480. It does just fine with 4k as I use one myself.

With a 970 the minimum I would do is a g4620. Note you will also need a supporting 2xx serries motherboard to run a new kabylake CPU. While the 1xx serries can run it, pretty much all of them in stores are running old firmware that wont support it.

The 970 is near the performance of a 3gb 1060 (or 4gb 480). For $150 thought the 970 is a good buy.

Why buy hardware now if you plan on upgrading in less then a year, seems like a complete waste.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

The RX 480 is NOT a 4k card. Maybe with the details dropped a lot and if you're willing to run below 60 fps. But it is very much not a 4k card, and hardly even a 1440p card. Also there are many games such as DOOM, Battlefield 1 and GTA V that will use all 8gb even at 1080p.

For the record I have an RX 480 as well.

Unless the OP changed the thread I see no mention of 4k gaming.
For the record a pentium is not going to handle any half way cpu-intensive game in 4k and none of the cards mentioned are 4k cards to begin with.

ScottMescudder

Commendable
Feb 1, 2017

My bad. It can do 4k but struggles to maintain 30+ fps. It is however fully capable of 1440p.
Source: http://4k.com/gaming/amd-radeon-rx-480-4k1440p-gpu-review-plenty-of-power-at-a-superb-price/

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Barely, most games are around 40-50fps which is playable but not where you want to be.

Either way the OP didn't say anything about 4k gaming so I think this tangent needs to die. The RX 480 is still IMO a better way for him to go than a GTX 970.

This is serious news...
Do you believe that buying a RX480 4GB for 1080p gaming is not a wise decision anymore?

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

I think it still is, for the price it still performs very well. Some games will limit the details you can turn on with only 4gb (DOOM for example), but honestly they don't make a huge difference. The main difference is you may notice some texture draw in, in the distance on some more intensive games due to the memory usage. It would have minimal effect on FPS at 1080p, but large effect at like 4k for example.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

I can't really vouch for a website in your location, that price seems normal for the CPU.

As for the RX 470 its good, but if you can afford an RX 480, based on your plan to upgrade, you really are better off with it.

Solution