[SOLVED] A plea for help

Jan 16, 2021
Hello,
I'm a young lad, and after many years of saving I have finally procured all the parts necessary to upgrade my terrible setup to something almost mediocre.
the parts I'm putting together are:
intel I5-9600K LGA1151
Nvidia GTX-1050ti ASUS brand
ASUS prime Z270-P motherboard
2x Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 8gb 3200mhz 1.3V
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO CPU Cooling System - Proven Performance - 4 Continuous Direct Contact Heat Pipes, 120mm PWM Fan
A 2TB hard drive (don't know what it is but I know it works fine)
ATX A-600BR power supply with 120mm fans 6pin PCI-E multi core CPU support and SATA power connectors 600w 230v 5 amps.
The case fits it all comfortably.

I'm fairly certain all the parts are compatible, if not I'm even dumber than I thought.

Now comes the problem. I put all the parts in, connected them up and tried to turn it on, and nothing happened. The only response was the backlighting on the GPU slots turned on. I rushed to discord to ask my friend if he knew what was wrong, and we went through the motions of making sure everything was connected properly, I checked the CPU and none of the pins were bent, but the receptor on the motherboard had 1 tiny section that reflects the light differently, which could be a bent bit but I don't know. I know that the GPU, harddrive and power supply all work fine. But I have no idea what is causing it to not turn on. My friend suspects a mother board issue but he said I should get a second opinion on here first. My father helped me put the parts together and he has worked with electronics for over 30 years, so is certain there was and is no static interference. I cannot afford to replace things willy nilly and want to know if it's a good idea to send it to someone who actually knows what they're on about and then see what parts they think aren't working. I'm open to any and all suggestions, but it should be noted that I have more knowledge about north Koreas military than computers, so any help needs to given in a manner as if one was taking to a 10 year old (I'm not 10 but my knowledge of computers sure is equivalent to that of a 10 year old)

Thanks.

Solution
Start here:

Work through ALL the steps. Not just look and assume...actually do it.

USAFRet

Titan
Start here:

Solution
Jan 16, 2021
Start here:

Will do

Jan 16, 2021
The 9600k is not compatible with the Z270. The 200 series chipsets only work with 7th and 8th gen CPUs. Your 9th gen cpu is only compatible with 300 series boards. Also that generic PSU is a bad day/house fire waiting to happen.
Damn, I knew I was stupid but this is a new level of stupid. Thanks for the help ill do some research on a working motherboard and a better PSU if I can afford it. Otherwise I can just buy a fire extinguisher and put it next to the PC.

bignastyid

Titan
Damn, I knew I was stupid but this is a new level of stupid. Thanks for the help ill do some research on a working motherboard and a better PSU if I can afford it. Otherwise I can just buy a fire extinguisher and put it next to the PC.
Actually you'll want the extinguisher a few feet from the system so you don't have to reach through the flames to get at it.

Not sure what your budget is but here is a suggestion for a motherboard and PSU that hopefully won't break the bank.

PCPartPicker Part List

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 GAMING X ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (£116.47 @ Ebuyer)
Power Supply: Corsair TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply (£67.97 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £184.44
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-01-16 13:44 GMT+0000