A policy is in effect on your computer ...

I cannot do an Add Printer to connect to two of our
network plotters from some XP workstations. I get a
message:

"A policy is in effect on your computer which prevents you
from connecting to this printer queue".

I go into Admin Tools, Local Security Policy, Local
Policies, Security Options, and disable Prevents users
from connecting... -- this fixes the problem on some
computers but not on others.

Any other ideas?
Thanks,
Erica

If you are on an NT4 domain please download Service Pack 2 for XP. If you
have a Win2k domain disable this policy or add the print server name to the
list of trusted servers in
Local Computer Policy, User Configuration, Administrative Templates, Control
Panel, Printers, Point and Print restrictions

This policy setting restricts the servers that a client can connect to for
point and print. The policy setting applies only to non Print Administrators
clients, and only to machines that are members of a domain.

When the policy setting is enabled, the client can be restricted to only
point and print to a server within its own forest, and/or to a list of
explicitly trusted servers.

When the policy setting is not-configured, it defaults to allowing point and
print only within the client's forest.

When the policy setting is disabled, client machines can point and print to
any server.

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

"Erika sezonov" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> I cannot do an Add Printer to connect to two of our
> network plotters from some XP workstations. I get a
> message:
>
> "A policy is in effect on your computer which prevents you
> from connecting to this printer queue".
>
> I go into Admin Tools, Local Security Policy, Local
> Policies, Security Options, and disable Prevents users
> from connecting... -- this fixes the problem on some
> computers but not on others.
>
> Any other ideas?
> Thanks,
> Erica