[SOLVED] A popping sound

Jan 26, 2019
Alright so, recently a friend I have built me a PC. Along with a whole string of messes, which have slowly come to a "fix", one of my most annoying problems come in the form of a PSU. I've already ordered a new one, as the problem with this one is that it kept tripping up the Anti-Surge.

Well, friend of mine bought me a new GPU because the last one that arrived was faulty. It came along with 2 games that you needed to sign in and use the gPU to get. So he insisted that I just log in really quick and do it, even with the current PSU.

So I did, cause well I owe him. Well, it tripped up the Anti-Surge, no surprise. After getting the codes, I went to shut off the PC though, and then I heard a pop, not like a loud one or anything. Just one you can make with your mouth, almost silent. This was followed by the display turning off and PC restarting. It wasn't the Anti-Surge this time.

So, this all might be in my head, but could it be the PSU? Or would it be something else? I'm hoping it's not the new GPU. I doubt it as when it rebooted everything was working fine. No artifacts, no slow downs, just same old same old.

Is there anything it could be? Or is it just all in my head? Sorry, just a little worried.

SPECS:
ASUS H81M-PLUS motherboard
ALLIED 550w PSU
I5-4460 CPU
WD 2TB HDD
SanDisk 230GB SSD
RX570 GPU
HyperX 2x 4GB
Arctic i11 CPU Cooler
Autolizer 80mm fan

Solution
Only thing that i can think of popping would be capacitor. So, open up your PC and with eagle eye, go over your MoBo, GPU and also look inside PSU since those three have capacitors on them.

Blown capacitor looks either bulged on the top or the top is open,
image:
blown-washing-machine-cuircuit-board-capacitor.png

evga_nvidia_blown_capacitors_1080.jpg

Another thing that could've made that sound would be PSU relay switch when PSU turns itself off but that sound is more like "click" rather than "pop".

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Only thing that i can think of popping would be capacitor. So, open up your PC and with eagle eye, go over your MoBo, GPU and also look inside PSU since those three have capacitors on them.

Blown capacitor looks either bulged on the top or the top is open,
image:
blown-washing-machine-cuircuit-board-capacitor.png

evga_nvidia_blown_capacitors_1080.jpg

Another thing that could've made that sound would be PSU relay switch when PSU turns itself off but that sound is more like "click" rather than "pop".

Solution