[SOLVED] A power surge from device burned out USB ports

DavidRexGlenn

Reputable
Jun 10, 2019
Installed the wrong battery in a rechargeable device. It was wired opposite of my old battery. When I plugged into my USB port it fried out the port as well as the device. Yes, I know I am a dumbass...

I run a Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop with Ubuntu 18.04 LTS installed. Both USB ports on the left hand side are toast. Everything else including the right side USB port works. I have been searching for the last few hours for anything that will allow me to fix this myself. Lot of USB port replacement tutorials but they never mention replacing what powers them.

My question is this:
Is the piece/component that I burned up replaceable? If so, what is its proper name? Is it as simple as merely replacing the port assembly (not betting on this)?

Solution
its probably a part of the motherboard/daughterboard.
if its the motherboard it will need to be replaced.
if a daughterboard, I'm sure it will need to be replaced. only then will you know if the damage goes beyond the daughterboard. since the USB on one side stil works they are using different USB controllers. the damage most likely took out the controller, a small chip on the board.

a short term easy solution would ba a powered USB hub to expand the USB capacity of the working controller.

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
its probably a part of the motherboard/daughterboard.
if its the motherboard it will need to be replaced.
if a daughterboard, I'm sure it will need to be replaced. only then will you know if the damage goes beyond the daughterboard. since the USB on one side stil works they are using different USB controllers. the damage most likely took out the controller, a small chip on the board.

a short term easy solution would ba a powered USB hub to expand the USB capacity of the working controller.

Reactions: lynx1021
Solution

DavidRexGlenn

Reputable
Jun 10, 2019
Thanks. Your reply got me out of the state of panic I was in and gave me the correct search terms to use. Seems the 1545 does have a daughterboard controller for the two USB ports in question. Since everything else works, it looks like this is the piece I destroyed. Now I just have to have one shipped in. Thanks again.