Question A problem with Windows 10

Jul 19, 2019
Hi, I upgraded my PC last summer. I got a Ryzen 5 2600 CPU, 8 GB DDR4 RAM and left my old RX550 in my setup. This setup has proved to be good, but I definitely need to upgrade the GPU. With the whole upgrade, I had to get W10 as well so the CPU would work, which I did. I upgraded if from my W7. This came with a big problem. Constant lag was always there when I would visit websites. Whenever it would start to load something, my mouse would start glitching and everything would start going very slow. For example, if I was listening music on YouTube and I wanted to check my emails, the song would start to lag as well as my mouse. This would eventually stop, but it's so annoying. Did I not do something right or is Windows 10 always this slow? Or is my setup bad?

USAFRet

Titan
Mar 16, 2013
This is the Win 10 forum. You're in the right place.

I agree with britechguy. Your symptoms are not typical of a good Win 10 install.

How do you know this isn't a problem with the installation?
Sometimes, an inplace Upgrade from a previous OS displays issues.

Jul 19, 2019
This is the Win 10 forum. You're in the right place.

I agree with britechguy. Your symptoms are not typical of a good Win 10 install.

How do you know this isn't a problem with the installation?
Sometimes, an inplace Upgrade from a previous OS displays issues.
I said it isn't a problem with the installation because I thought that britechguy mistook my problem with the installation procedure. Might've been a misunderstanding. Also, does repairing the current OS comes with the risk of deleting current files? I don't really want my entire HDD to be wiped out...

USAFRet

Titan
Mar 16, 2013
What he referred to was possibly doing a repair install or a Feature update.
Your inplace upgrade from Win 7 may have carried issues from the old install, or possibly created new ones.

And any major OS work really, really needs for you to have a full backup.
Just in case.

britechguy

Notable
Jul 2, 2019
No, a repair install is explicitly intended to keep all user data files and installed apps (be they from the store or desktop apps [AKA good-old fashioned programs]).

You have a very cranky system that clearly has issues. I no longer find it effective to try to chase down individual issues in most cases, as there are probably others that will then crop up.

Doing as I previously suggested takes care of it all in one fell swoop.

Jul 19, 2019
No, a repair install is explicitly intended to keep all user data files and installed apps (be they from the store or desktop apps [AKA good-old fashioned programs]).

You have a very cranky system that clearly has issues. I no longer find it effective to try to chase down individual issues in most cases, as there are probably others that will then crop up.

Doing as I previously suggested takes care of it all in one fell swoop.
Thank you for the response. I'll try repairing Windows.

ASK THE COMMUNITY