Question A Professional Overclocked my i7 3770k @ 3.5GHZ to 4.2GHZ, It is hitting 100deg celsius in rainbow in under 30 seconds

Feb 21, 2019
I am a noob with PC's and i took my PC to get a look at once i bought it. The other day i noticed that when i played Rainbow Six Siege, it crashed after a minute. I went into task manager's performance tab and saw that the Speed of the CPU was at 5.02 GHZ and that the utilisation went up to 100%. This is the cause of the crash? I opened BIOS and turned off the CPU Boost with a friend who has knowledge on PC's. I opened Afterburner and tried again. The Temps went up to 103 Degrees Celsius. I am playing medium settings too. I just want to know how to reduce the clock speed of the cpu so the temps and the speed can be normal.

Specs:
Strix GTX 1070
Intel i7 3770k @ 3.5ghz
Corsair h100i Water Cooling
MSI Z77M (MS-7751)

I am a noob with PC's and i took my PC to get a look at once i bought it. The other day i noticed that when i played Rainbow Six Siege, it crashed after a minute. I went into task manager's performance tab and saw that the Speed of the CPU was at 5.02 GHZ and that the utilisation went up to 100%. This is the cause of the crash? I opened BIOS and turned off the CPU Boost with a friend who has knowledge on PC's. I opened Afterburner and tried again. The Temps went up to 103 Degrees Celsius. I am playing medium settings too. I just want to know how to reduce the clock speed of the cpu so the temps and the speed can be normal.

Specs:
Strix GTX 1070
Intel i7 3770k @ 3.5ghz
Corsair h100i Water Cooling
MSI Z77M (MS-7751)

I think you can press F5 within bios to restore default settings. Most of them have some simple way of resetting. That also removes the OC.

Another course of action is to power down and unplug the PC. Press the power button a few times. Remove the CMOS battery and plug in and power on your PC. Allow it to post and boot to windows. Power down and unplug. Replace CMOS battery. BIOS settings will be reset to their default states.

Some PC's have a BIOS reset button or a reset jumper.

When did the "pro" work on your PC?

100C is the failure to move heat from the CPU, so as mentioned a pump failure, or an airlock. An OC alone would not cause that in the timescales being noted, if it would even reach that at all. The alternative is that there is very little contact pressure between the block and the CPU.

poopflinger

Prominent
Sep 18, 2017
I would re-seat you CPU cooler with an addition of fresh thermal paste. Get some isopropyl alchohol (90% works best) and remove all the paste on the cooler and chip. Re-apply the thermal paste (about a pea-sized glob) and tighten down the cooler onto the bracket. The speed at which you are reaching 100C suggests your cooler is either not making good contact or the pump is broken.

Next, you need to find out what kind of voltage you are running through that processor. The fact that it even ran stable at 5.0Ghz suggests a lot of voltage. You can check by installing CPU-Z and monitoring what the voltage looks like while doing some light browsing.

I have the same processor. The maximum I could ever overclock mine was 4.6Ghz. I run it at 4.4Ghz daily with about 1.31 volts. I also use an AIO water cooler like you do and I can keep my temps below 70C.