A PSU for a GTX 780 graphics card?

TheComposer

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2009
Hi, I just ordered a GTX 780, and I wanted to get a new PSU to get everything right, what would you recommend?

My current gig:

4 fans
i5 3.22 GHZ
2 Hard drives
1 External USB Hard Drive
Mouse, Keyboard
Music Interface (Tascam)

I wanna be perfectly sure about this, because last week I tested a GTX 960 with a 650 watt PSU, it was a generic one and it lasted 2 days before it fried, so now that I learned my lesson, I want to get a reliable brand, maybe I should go for 1000W, I think that the GTX 780 requires a minimum of 600 Watts, so...
Thanks!

A 500w PSU would at most have a 38A 12v rail, cant see any good reason to contemplate buying one. Spend a little more and get something that meets the spec. Also a PSU which is worked near its limits is far more likely to have a shortened life.

The OP can choose what to do but personally I would recommend anything less than 600w

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador

The 780 uses 20 amps (250w). Like I said, they recommend a high amount to account for crap PSUs. In reality if you have a high quality 500w, its more than enough.

Dont know ultra, a quick review I found indicated it didn't quite meet its efficiency rating so that raises concerns over quality. Personally Id get a Seasonic or XFX 600 plus watts (see the list I linked earlier). They are well known and trusted brands for PSU's but ant tier 1 or 2 PSU will do.

Id take a known high quality 600w over an unknown 1000w any day. Quality is very important.