A PSU That Can Power Two Systems At Once: Meet Phanteks RevoltX

Status
Not open for further replies.

gggplaya

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2011
So basically this is for streamers?? 1 system to play the game, the other system to cpu encode the stream. However, powersupplies are cheap enough these days(like $35), where I don't see a point to this?? I'd rather just have a whole nother chassis.

Not Just streaming boxes, rather dedicated storage servers, DIY firewalls and stuff lke that.

gggplaya

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2011

It's also capable of using 2 power supplies. With 1 power supply you would have to run really long wire extensions which would cause some extra voltage drop and hurt efficiency was well. I'd rather just use a 2nd power supply for better redundancy. If 1 system goes down due to power supply, you still have the other system.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Voltage drop on even a 2 foot extension is so negligible as to be not worth worrying about. 100ft, sure, 200ft definitely, but 12-18inches? Laughable.

Redundancy is moot. The 2x psus are separate, not parallel. If both systems go down, it's almost guaranteed a psu issue, if 1 system goes down, it's not. Separates just lead to the regular search of finding exactly what the issue is. You'd not use 2x pico's in a pc, one for cpu, one for gpu, when using just the 1 will do both jobs.

Aug 1, 2018
So... Is this intended for use in that gigantic Cooler Master (or was it Corsair?) case that houses an EATX + mini ITX system in it?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
It's a Phanteks and Phanteks has quite a few really good full towers, even upto the $900 Elite, but I'd not be surprised if ppl start figuring out how to tuck a couple of mITX mobo's into a full tower and bring some life back into that chassis.

Bring on the case mods!

Jerem43

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
At 1200w@120v, this thing will be drawing 10 amps at full load, and that is approaching the limits of the standard 15a circuit you find in homes in the US (with a 15a circuit, the recommended max draw is 12a). To properly power this thing its going to need its own dedicated 15a circuit or have it placed on a 20a circuit if you plan to have anything else plugged in at the same time.

Think about what you have plugged in at a standard computer station, 2-3 monitors, speakers, USB chargers, a desk lamp, etc. that adds up real quick.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Actually, it draws somewhat more at full load. 1200w is the output, not the input. If at 90% efficiency it'll draw over 1330w, adding further insult to injury. If you figure on average everything plugged in draws @1A, and that includes the 2x light bulbs overhead, you'll be hitting 15A easily.

Yes, pc's powered by 1000w+ psus should be on their own circuit anyways, especially if given to high loads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS