A question about a i5 4670k and rtx 2060 combo

Feb 2, 2019
Greetings!

I've been wondering, is my old i5-4670k enough to handle my new RTX 2060 GPU?
In some games, I have been suffering some stutters, lag spikes, which makes me think I need to replace it.

However, I have come across a video of a guy who had a "non-k" variant of the same processor and paired it with a 1070 card. Somehow his performance exceeded mine quite significantly (I tried the same game he did, and my computer constantly lagged and stuttered, no to mention gave worse overall fps).

So what do you think, is my processor too weak for RTX 2060?

I wouldnt say that CPU is a big bottleneck for that GPU however it will depend on what games you play as their CPU/GPU dependance can vary significantly.

You could search ebay for an i7-4790K and replace the CPU for better performance.

Feb 2, 2019
I have 8GB of ram.

Is it possible that those lag spikes, fps drops and general stuttering (or at least some of these things) are caused by a faulty PSU?

Recently, my pc started turning off (or rather going into sleep mode) while gaming, I have a bad feeling that it might be caused by the PSU.

And before you ask my temps are 38-43 idle, 60-75 while gaming (CPU) and 39C idle + 70-80C under load (GPU).
The case is clean, the only thing new is the video card. I have replaced my thermal paste already, but my CPU cooler is a little bit loose (I've put the case on its side to let gravity work for us), so I suspect it could be part of the problem (even though it survived HWBOT RealBench stress test without any "naps" or problems).

I know its a shot in the dark but do you guys think to replace my PSU (PSU Seasonic S12II 620W 80 Plus Bronze
) would stabilize the performance? I REALLY do not want to buy a new cpu/(which requires to also change my mobo and RAM).

Feb 2, 2019
Yes, I assumed so. However, Im\m pretty sure a CPU bottleneck does. For example, I tried doing a benchmark for far cry 5. It ended up with 81 fps on average (ultra settings), however, it had one massive spike down to 28 fps (which ended up being the minimum fps).

I've encountered this in pretty much all the games I've tried, which leads me to believe there is a problem in need of fixing.

Mar 12, 2019
Yes, I assumed so. However, Im\m pretty sure a CPU bottleneck does. For example, I tried doing a benchmark for far cry 5. It ended up with 81 fps on average (ultra settings), however, it had one massive spike down to 28 fps (which ended up being the minimum fps).

I've encountered this in pretty much all the games I've tried, which leads me to believe there is a problem in need of fixing.
yes, i5 4670k even OC to 4,5 limits RTX 2060 up to 20-25% in 1080p resolution. If you d go to 1440p monitor the gap would be minimum. Or buy i7 47** (k) / xeon 1230 v3

TRENDING THREADS