Dcopymope

Prominent
BANNED
Aug 13, 2018
I know Cat6 cables are capable of transferring data at 10 gbps , but since my modem only gives a maximum throughput of 1gbps and my network interface card is also a 1 gigabit Ethernet adapter, what is the use of a Cat 6 Ethernet cable beyond better protection against electromagnetic interference? Would it still be faster than my Cat 5 E cable at all? Is it still worth buying one? :unsure:

Solution
I see, so what if I replace my 1 gig Ethernet Adapter for a 10 gigabit one without replacing the modem, or vice versa? Will that make a difference at all? :unsure:
Speed depends on the slowest device in the chain.

To get faster than gigabit performance, you need to change ALL the devices.
And that is only within your LAN. Has nothing to do with talking to the outside world.

USAFRet

Titan
I know Cat6 cables are capable of transferring data at 10 gbps , but since my modem only gives a maximum throughput of 1gbps and my network interface card is also a 1 gigabit Ethernet adapter, what is the use of a Cat 6 Ethernet cable beyond better protection against electromagnetic interference? Would it still be faster than my Cat 5 E cable at all? Is it still worth buying one? :unsure:
No, it will not be any faster.

USAFRet

Titan
I see, so what if I replace my 1 gig Ethernet Adapter for a 10 gigabit one without replacing the modem, or vice versa? Will that make a difference at all? :unsure:

And that is only within your LAN. Has nothing to do with talking to the outside world.

Reactions: Dcopymope
Solution

Dcopymope

Prominent
BANNED
Aug 13, 2018

Hmm, well that sucks, certainly not planning on replacing my modem. Oh well, no biggie, as long as 1 gig won't become obsolete any time soon. Thanks for the response. (y)(y)

TRENDING THREADS