Question A question about Cpu Monitoring Software

firatkonuslu

Reputable
Jan 28, 2019
Hi, when I monitor my 3900x ryzen cpu, in idle the core clocks fluctuate between high and low numbers as the softwares like hwinfo, hwmonitor show, while on the other hand, ryzen master monitors them as they are in idle, some are on sleep while the active ones go 500 mhz etc. The precision boost is disabled in bios. My core clock is 3,8 ghz. I didn’t overclocked it yet. The settings on the ryzen master are also in default. Is this a monitoring problem? Why are ryzen master and other softwares monitor the core clock values differently? Am I missing something?

Monitoring software will usually give you the real-time measurements, either averaging out the value over a second or giving the value at the time. It's also normal for CPUs to fluctuate in clock speed depending on the demands of the system.

And despite the functionality being there, I wouldn't use Ryzen Master as a monitoring tool. It's a configuration tool, monitoring is a secondary feature.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Sensors are read every 256ms. If that number was then put on screen, all you'd see is a blur as those numbers would change 4x a second. So monitoring software polls are timed in response, you'll see a single number last 2-3 seconds ±. Depending on exactly when that number is polled can change results. For instance if temp on core was 50-60-90-70 and the poll was on the 3rd number, you'd see a cpu temp of 90, yet that's not reality. If the number was the second poll, you'd see the exact same second of use with a temp of 60. 2 vastly different temps, same second of polling.

Ryzen Master is different. It'll take a full 3 seconds worth of polls and average the results and post that number. You'd see that same result as 68°C instead, which is more realistic for the entire time period. HWInfo is more accurate, RM is more realistic and under most loads they'll be somewhat close, but depending on core use and loads, can be very different.

Don't OC your cpu. Use Clocktuner2 and undervolt it instead. You'll get better actual performance, lower temps, even if the clock speeds aren't as high as possible.

.... Why are ryzen master and other softwares monitor the core clock values differently? Am I missing something?

Ryzen is super dynamic and that makes for equally highly dynamic temperature readings since most monitoring programs simply report the hottest single sensor at each polling among the dozens on the chip...called "hotspots". Ryzenmaster averages all the sensors to get a more stable reading but most other monitoring programs don't. HWInfo does..it even has an special sensor reading "CPU die (Average)" and averages that over a time period too so you get an even longer average (look in the AVERAGE column of the sensor screen).

The hotspot sensor readings in isolation aren't really a fair representation of the thermal state of the CPU. It's like a match in a room...match hot, room not. But light a thousand matches and the room starts to heat up. So you really want to watch the average because it takes into account all the sensors over a time period. Not that I'd say it's particularly accurate but it will be a much fairer representation of the thermal state of the CPU.

Ryzenmaster's not really a monitoring program either. It was created for competition overclockers to interactively configure their system in competitions and exhibitions. I'd suggest simply uninstalling it as it's service has been known to impact actual performance for gaming even if the program isn't running.

Last edited:
Reactions: Karadjgne
In it's simple form Ryzen Master shows frequency, voltage and temps as "Effective values" which is more useful than looking at those values jumping around like Mexican jumping beans. Those values are shown as it was a single core CPU, in other words "as average".
RM also needs appropriate (usually newest) chipset drivers and up to date .NET.