A question about MSI K7N420 Pro

Edison696

Distinguished
May 21, 2002
Hi all, this is my first post here.

I'd like to ask a question about this board and/or nForce chipset. I have this board for a week or two and i bought 2 memory modules Kingmax DDR333 (just for stability in case of overclocking), one 256MB and one 128MB. I just browsed a bit back to the reviews to see the test of the board here and i noticed a strange thing saying something like "you have to use two IDENTICAL memory modules". Does that mean that they have to be the same size or just the type and the speed are important. I'm asking this cause the 128MB memory module turned out to be non-functional and i had to turn it back for a replacement. My friend has the same memory type and i burrowed his ram stick 128MB DDR333 Kingmax and the board worked fine (not that it didn't work with only mine 256MB stick) and btw scored a respectable 3DMark 2000 score with the on-board video and Athlon XP 1800+ of 5100 3D Marks. And only with my stick it scored around 4200 3D Marks. That seems a considerable difference which makes me think that the dual memory controller is working just fine when two memory modules of different sizes are attached to the mobo. But, considering the statement above about the IDENTICAL memory modules, any of you know is this still ok? I mean i can change the 128MB for a 256MB stick, but i don't need 512MB RAM and i don't want to spend additional money for that. Anyway, in case that's necessary to take the full advantage of the dual memory controller i think i will. So please help me fast, cause i need to make this decision by tomorrow afternoon.

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
ive never heard about having to have identical sticks. but you say the score is higher with two so there you go. personaly i dont think there is any real world difference with the spread spectrum thing.

how do you shoot the devil in the back? what happens if you miss? -verbal

TRENDING THREADS