Question A question about my gpu

Jun 11, 2022
The GPU in question is the Sapphire RX 470. In the last few days it started it started acting weird. My Vram usage when idle doubled. I was searching online what may the cause be. Until next night when playing Overwatch 2 the display just went black.
The PC was still on and running. So I immediately turned it off. And tried turning it on again, no luck there, still no display. I tried connecting my monitor directly to the motherboard. And the display actually turned on this time. Meaning the PC doesn't detect
my graphics card anymore. I tried uninstalling drivers to see if it was a driver issue. I swapped out the GPU with a really old mid 2000s one. (Ati Radeon HD 4550), and well the display turned on when I did.

Now the question is. Is my gpu dead? Could it be that the gold pins are damaged? Because as far as I see it's still recieving some power. The little "SAPPHIRE" text on the gpu lights up when I turn on the pc.
I'm not really that in depth with computers. I built quite a few but when it comes to components I know very little on how they work. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2022
That seems to be the classic death of a gpu, something weird happens with the output then it suddenly goes black. Especially since another gpu fires right up on the display.
I forgot mention that I didn't test with a gpu that requires extra power from the PSU. (the reason being that I dont have any except from the one in question right currently.)
I guess I will just borrow one from my friend and then after that get a new one. Thanks for the info.

Jun 11, 2022
Hey there,

Please give your full system specs, including PSU.
CPU: i5-4460 3.20ghz
RAM: 2x 8gb samsung 1600mhz
GPU: Sapphire RX 470
1 120gb SSD
1 500gb HDD
MB: Asrock H81M-VG4
PSU: MS Core M600 600 Watts

The PSU doesn't come from an international brand. It's only sold in my region as far as I know. It's quality isn't exactly the best, but it does the job quite decently. Many PC builders in my region used it.
To save you the trouble of looking it up. Here's the label on the PSU.

https://prnt.sc/MxRcxAoBQSna