A question about my motherboard

gamersunite23

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2015
Greetings to all who read this. I have a question to ask you all about my motherboard before I do anything unnecessary or drastic. I am currently operating with a Gigabyte EP45T-UD3P motherboard. I have read a couple things about it, mainly about whether it was DDR3 or not. But I wanted to know if it could handle up to 8Gb of RAM or whether I might need to get something else. I'm looking to upgrade my pc to gaming quality, it's more like a high powered potato in its current state according to my tech-savvy friends. So before I ramble any further, if you could provide me with as much info as possible on this particular motherboard I would be truly grateful. Thank you in advance.

Solution
The manufacturer lists all of the specs on their website.
Subjectively--that's an old motherboard. If you want gaming performance, you should not be looking at a core2 platform. Also, the only real reason you should upgrade a motherboard is so you can use a different cpu. The motherboard by itself makes very little difference in performance.
What do you currently have and what sort of budget do you have for upgrades?
The manufacturer lists all of the specs on their website.
Subjectively--that's an old motherboard. If you want gaming performance, you should not be looking at a core2 platform. Also, the only real reason you should upgrade a motherboard is so you can use a different cpu. The motherboard by itself makes very little difference in performance.
What do you currently have and what sort of budget do you have for upgrades?

Solution

gamersunite23

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2015

Thank you for answering me so quickly and informatively. I currently only have 4Gb of RAM so that's why I wanted to know if I might need to upgrade. As per my budget, I might need to wait a bit before doing anything at all with my rig. It's not urgent at the moment considering I just recently upgraded my GPU from a model so old they don't even make it any more (Geforce GTS 250). Thank you again for information.