a question about my pc, need to know about some components

thehorseman007

Reputable
Feb 9, 2016
Hello Community,

This is my first post, I love this site and use to read what even I am confused about from some time ago.

I bought my computer in 2009 and it was working awesome untill now, but about 15 days ago the Graphics Card died as told by my computer vendor. I ask if that can be repaired but there is a very less chance that it can be fixed.

My PC Rig is :-

Processor Intel Xeon W3520 2.66 GHz

Motherboard Intel® Workstation Board WX58BP

Graphics Card MSI Geforce 250 GTS 1 GB

RAM 2 x 2GB Kingston 1333 MHz

PSU Cooler Master 400 or 500 watts (Not sure because vendor took it from me to check it too.)

Cooler Master Elite Cabinet.

Windows 7 64bit

I use my computer for making some 2D artwork and for other normal work, I don't play very high graphical games or such.

Here is my question(s)

I just want to get another graphic card if it's possible to put with my system, but I cannot find which card will be good as I don't know what to check before getting a new card. My system is quite old so I am not sure if I buy a new card by my own will work with my old PC or not. Please suggest me a good compatible Card or let me know what else I can do.

Graphics Card I got by searching the net ( what I use to think will work & will be good for me)

01. MSI Geforce GTX 750Ti 2GB GDDR5

02. SAPPHIRE- R7 260X 2GB DDR5 AMD RADEON

03. PowerColor ATI Radeon R7 250 1GB GDDR5 OC

04. PowerColor ATI Radeon R7 240 1GB GDDR5 OC

Thanks Everyone. :)

thehorseman007

Reputable
Feb 9, 2016

thx @ellis2014 for the help, you are right that I can get GTX 950 , but you know what , I am not sure it will run good with my system or not as because I am not in a condition to change other things like PSU for the graphic card for now. I just need my computer back for normal work as I don't play games now or play some on my phone only.

I choose GTX 750 because of some reason like it only need 71 watt and recommended PSU is 400 watt only and I got that too. It is also little cheaper than GTX 950, Later I am thinking to replace the whole computer and will build another one with good hardware and so.

Thanks for the help my friend. :)

Probably I'd get the R7 250, it is a very close match for the old GTS250: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/gpu-hierarchy,review-33383.html It should be cheaper than the more powerful GTX750/750Ti so you can consider it as a replacement rather than an upgrade.
If you feel you need or want more graphics power, the GTX750/750Ti is an excellent choice for a system with a weak power supply, the R7 260/R7 260X both draw considerably more power and would not be recommended.

hang-the-9

Titan
If you are not doing 3D modeling and no gaming, the cards you listed are over what you need by quite a bit. You will be fine with a card like the 730 GDDR5, although if the R7 250 is the same price that is also a good pick, but moving to a 730 you don't need to do anything with the drivers.

The cards you are looking at are for systems that play games or do heavier work with video/image editing programs.

Use the money saved on more RAM, 4 GB is a bit low for a system these days, if you have a 64 bit Windows setup that is. If you are on 32 bit you'll need to re-install Windows 64 bit to make use of extra RAM.

thehorseman007

Reputable
Feb 9, 2016
thanks @ellis2014, @coozie7 and @hang-the-9

Guys I am very happy and thankful that you guys suggested me what is best for me. :)

I can get GTX750 Ti as I am looking forward to get little more power, and yes it's power consumption is less which is again good for me. I am also looking forward to work on things like 3D modelling etc later which will need more powerful hardware's so again GTX750 i think will be a good choice.

I got 8 GB RAM I just forgot to tell as I bought in the time when my computer is not working , haha as I was not sure that this will happen.

So finally I think with GTX750 and 8 GB of RAM my computer will be ok for my work and will be little more fast.

One more thing to ask , will it be good if i get another 8 GB RAM which will make total 16 GB RAM , i mean will it make any difference or not.

Thanks everyone :D

thehorseman007

Reputable
Feb 9, 2016
Hello Everyone :)

I brought MSI GeForce GTX N750 ti and 16 GB Corsair RAM. After installing it everything is working fine and nice. I am happy and now I can work as I use to.

Finally the problem is Solved.

Thanks everyone for helping me. :D