A question about psu and gpu

Jan 2, 2019
If I have a 500w psu and a gpu that needs 180w, does that gpu takes 180w out of 500w total or does it take additional 180w? Also if my gpu require an 8 pin connector do I need a special kind of a psu or do I need just a special cable? Thank you in advance.

Solution
500w is the maximum amount of power a psu can supply. ( however, if it's GPU, you have to use the 12V * max rated current, modern PSU tends to be very close to the maximum amount)

if you have a 180w gpu, 180w of 500w will be used to supply the gpu, (the actually wattage will vary, and usually less than the amount)

most 500w psu will come with at least one a pcie (6+2) pin, you can find that information in the PSU specification.
What are your system specs? What is the GPU/CPU and PSU? You will need to know those things first to know if it will work.

For a 180 watt GPU you will need a PSU that provides PCIe power. Your 500watt PSU probably has a 8 pin PCIe power cable coming from it. But not all PSUs are created equal.

500w is the maximum amount of power a psu can supply. ( however, if it's GPU, you have to use the 12V * max rated current, modern PSU tends to be very close to the maximum amount)

if you have a 180w gpu, 180w of 500w will be used to supply the gpu, (the actually wattage will vary, and usually less than the amount)

most 500w psu will come with at least one a pcie (6+2) pin, you can find that information in the PSU specification.

Solution