[SOLVED] A question about the possibility of having two NVIDIA graphic cards on a B85 plus motherboard.

Mar 31, 2021
Would it be possible to use two NVIDIA graphic cards on an Asus B85 plus motherboard? I know that this board does not support SLI. I am not going to use it for SLI. I want to separately attach two NVIDIA graphic cards to the empty slots of my motherboard for digital currency mining. Thank you in advance for your help.

Solution
X16 indicates the length of the slot. You have two.
The pcie capability indicates the speed at which the slot can operate.
The main slot is some 4x faster. That might not be important to you in mining since my understanding is that the work is done internally by the graphics card and not much is transmitted across the pcie interface

What graphics cards do you have in mind?
Mar 31, 2021
Yes, you can.
The first will run at X16, the second slot must run at x4.

IMHO, what a waste of a graphics card.

Thank you so much geofelt. As I am not familiar with the specifications of graphic cards, I did not understand the exact meaning of X16 or X4. If X16 denotes some kind of processing speed, in the following link it says that we have two X16 slots in this motherboard. Apparently, one slot is Gen 2.x and the other PCI slot is Gen 3.x.
https://www.mbit.pt/informatica/componentes/board/asus-b85-plus
Do I need to use a different type of graphic card (compared to the first one) to have two X16 on my motherboard?

The main slot is some 4x faster. That might not be important to you in mining since my understanding is that the work is done internally by the graphics card and not much is transmitted across the pcie interface

Reactions: fakefrom98
Solution
Mar 31, 2021

Thank you very much geofelt. I already have one GTX1070 (a non-TI graphic card) connected to my motherboard, and I want to add a GTX1070 TI to it. Do you think this is a good choice? I see some people say that I have to use the same model for the second slot. So, I do not know whether I can use a GTX1080 or other types.

Using two cards to augment graphics processing for games is called SLI.
That requires two cards with the same graphics chipset.
Today, that is a bad and useless endeavour,

For mining purposes, yo can install what you wish.

What I.... wish is that you abandon the idea and let some gamer buy the card.

Last edited:
Reactions: fakefrom98