jnjnilson6

Distinguished
A question ahead! Well, this would constitute a rather simple question and that would be - When will you upgrade your CPU again? Now, I know that mostly this would be fictitious and guesswork due to the sole fact we may never truly predict what will happen in the hardware world within and without, yet I would be glad if you could share your general idea concerning future upgrades. Would you think of switching from Intel to AMD or reversing the process? How long do you think your current CPU would last for what you'll be using it?

Maybe, venturing further within the topic, you might possibly state the CPU you would feel comfortable getting or would like to get.

All answers are greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
I am not currently in the market for nor planning an upgrade to the CPU or other base components. So long as the parts I currently have continue to serve the purpose they are intended for....With that said.

IF I were going to buy a CPU today, it would be the new Ryzen. I would also pick a high quality motherboard. AMD has stated future support for multiple generations as they did with AM4. Getting in on the ground level of that is a good place to be. Good place to start with having the first gen CPU to use for the future BIOS quagmire it could turn into.

Just the same, if Microcenter runs some insane deal on something going over the hill (as it were) I am not opposed to taking advantage of that value.

Reactions: jnjnilson6

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
unknown, because right now it is a "want" not a "need" situation. Upgrading to an 11th gen would enable PCIE 4.0 on my mobo, and also allow faster ram speed. However..

1. all games I play still run fine and fast on this 10600K. No lag.
  2. the financial situation is not good, need to conserve money. The main priority for money is medicine and food for my pets.
  3. the pc technicians who service my pc has disappeared when the korean store they work for went bankrupt. The cooler is difficult for me to remove.
with all these factors combined..

right now would only attempt an upgrade... if, and only if there is a game I like to play that the 10600K cannot run properly.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
It's just a hobby for me, and this 7820X still does what I want - although, it seems to have lost the capability to run more than 3 dimms... [I'm sure it's my fault, I haven't figured out where I screwed up.]

The next cpu I'd like to get would be at the end of a socket, when it's most 'mature'; most of the bugs/issues have been ironed out.
Having the option to upgrade in the same socket does nothing for me, due to how long I'll ride on a cpu; might as well change the entire platform(cpu+mobo+ram) at that point.
I'd like to go AMD, simply because I haven't tried one yet. IF I hold out long enough, the next cpu would be an R7 9000/8000 - maybe the X3D version.

falcon291

Honorable
Jul 17, 2019
A question ahead! Well, this would constitute a rather simple question and that would be - When will you upgrade your CPU again? Now, I know that mostly this would be fictitious and guesswork due to the sole fact we may never truly predict what will happen in the hardware world within and without, yet I would be glad if you could share your general idea concerning future upgrades. Would you think of switching from Intel to AMD or reversing the process? How long do you think your current CPU would last for what you'll be using it?

Maybe, venturing further within the topic, you might possibly state the CPU you would feel comfortable getting or would like to get.

All answers are greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

I have 9700K at the moment.

I am planning to upgrade to 13700K or 13900K within 2023. It can be early May or September. If I cannot make it, I will wait for 14th generation.

I am not planning to switch to AMD. I know AMD can give better performance for the money paid. But I don't want to make the switch and learn different jargon.

I think for every 4 years replacing the CPU, so the mainboard is the right thing, and 2 years later or earlier it is the GPU change time.

9700K is a fine CPU, but for CPU dependent games, it started to show its age.

I plan on upgrading the G3220T in a M73 tiny to a I5-4570T.
This is just a spare pc to be fiddling with. Cost all of $8.

More seriously, my main problem with any upgrade is what to do with the old parts.
It is a pain to sell them on ebay and my kids are fine with what they have.

I love new tech and I have the means.
I probably will look at the next gen Intel offering in a year or two.
There is definitely a learning curve when switching from Intel to amd and I have no patience for that.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
More seriously, my main problem with any upgrade is what to do with the old parts.
It is a pain to sell them on ebay and my kids are fine with what they have.

I always tend to feel this compulsion to build out with whatever parts I have. I always keep them in the back of my head and as I hunt around or upgrade and such those bits get slowly picked up until I am close enough to build with a part or two more. I have a newly built system that is actually (mostly) decent parts and have no real use case for it at all. I tried going back to a PC on the bedroom TV but discovered last night that my eyesight doesn't allow me to see the file names from bed any more...dag-nabbit!

KyaraM

Admirable
Next upgrade is estimated to be necessary in about 7 years right now based on past experiences. Don't care much what it will be, though. Not buying into the "throw a new CPU at an ancient mainboard"-crap and so far Intel always offered the better bang for bucks when I upgraded the desktop, but that might change next time around. Raw performance at the time of buying is what I look for.

TRENDING THREADS