[SOLVED] A question concerning 2.5 vs 3.5 HDD

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
I had always been under the impression that 2.5" drives were faster than a 3.5" drive in relation to same vs same spin speed due to the decreased distance the heads have to move.
Read an article here/somewhere discussing that 2.5 is actually the slower of the two.

Confirm?

Solution
I had always been under the impression that 2.5" drives were faster than a 3.5" drive in relation to same vs same spin speed due to the decreased distance the heads have to move.
Read an article here/somewhere discussing that 2.5 is actually the slower of the two.

Confirm?
Other way around.
2.5" are generally 5400RPM (save power in a laptop)
3.5" are either 5400RPM or 7200RPM, with some 5900 sprinkled in.

But, the larger diameter means greater linear speed at the outer portions/tracks, for the same RPM.
And, 3.5" can go much larger GB than 2.5".
You'll not yet find a 10TB 2.5" drive.

USAFRet

Titan

Confirm?
Other way around.
2.5" are generally 5400RPM (save power in a laptop)
3.5" are either 5400RPM or 7200RPM, with some 5900 sprinkled in.

But, the larger diameter means greater linear speed at the outer portions/tracks, for the same RPM.
And, 3.5" can go much larger GB than 2.5".
You'll not yet find a 10TB 2.5" drive.

Solution

Confirm?
2.5" drives also tend to have less cache than the 3.5" drives. The cache helps with burst performance and writes. HGST created what they called a media cache, this wasn't part of the regular cache, with the HE8 line and later drives that used free space on the drive to cache and then write at a high queue depth. This ended up allowing their 3.5" 7200 RPM drives to have the write IOPS performance of competing 2.5" 10k RPM drives.