A Question of Reference

Cagliostro, the Grand Copht, I am fairly certain is based on the
historical Cagliostro, an alchemist and freemason, the protege of the
Comte de Saint-Germain.

Could this be Count Germaine? The Comte de Saint-Germain strikes me as
being ideal for a jyhad treatment, as he claimed to be centuries old,
was often seen dining but never eating food, travelled with a casket
filled with jewels, and was generally a very mystical fellow. Either
he'd be a vampire or one of the 'Immortals' of WoD: Mummies, possibly
egyptian, possibly not.

If it's Count Germaine... man, his discipline spread is not quite what
I'd expect. Then again, I'm not sure what I'd expect. Something closer
to Cagliostro. Or the other way around.

Deqlor wrote:
> Cagliostro, the Grand Copht, I am fairly certain is based on the
> historical Cagliostro, an alchemist and freemason, the protege of the
> Comte de Saint-Germain.
>
> Could this be Count Germaine? The Comte de Saint-Germain strikes me
as
> being ideal for a jyhad treatment, as he claimed to be centuries old,
> was often seen dining but never eating food, travelled with a casket
> filled with jewels, and was generally a very mystical fellow. Either
> he'd be a vampire or one of the 'Immortals' of WoD: Mummies, possibly
> egyptian, possibly not.
>
> If it's Count Germaine... man, his discipline spread is not quite
what
> I'd expect. Then again, I'm not sure what I'd expect. Something
closer
> to Cagliostro. Or the other way around.

Count Germaine is much more likely represented not by Cagliostro, but
by this vampire:

Count Germaine [Gehenna:U, KMW:pAn]
Clan: Brujah
Group: 4
Capacity: 8
Discipline: obf CEL FOR POT PRE
Camarilla: Minions opposing Germaine in combat cannot use weapons.
Germaine can enter combat with any Toreador controlled by another
Methuselah as a (D) action.

He even has an advanced version:

Count Germaine [KMW:U/PAn]
Clan: Brujah
Level: Advanced
Group: 4
Capacity: 8
Discipline: obf CEL FOR POT PRE
Advanced. Independent. Red List: Germaine gets +2 bleed when bleeding a
Methuselah who controls a titled non-Independent vampire.
[MERGED ICON] Anarch: Germaine gets an optional press each combat.

-John Flournoy

Matthew T. Morgan wrote:

> I think the question was if the WoD character Count Germaine is
intended
> to represent the real-world mystic Comte de Saint-Germain. I don't
> actually know, but does seem a little unlikely that a spy and
alchemist
> would focus on CEL FOR POT and beating up Toreador.

Eh, you're right, I clearly misunderstood the point of his question.
Clearly I need more caffeine.

> Matt Morgan

-John Flournoy

I think that's what I meant. As in "Could the Comte de Saint-Germain be
Count Germaine?"

On the other hand, he was known to associate closely with Louis XV and
is thought to have had an affair with Madame du Pompadore, suggesting
that maybe he had links to the Toreador of that time. So perhaps he
just knows where they live?

On Thu, 7 Apr 2005, John Flournoy wrote:

> Deqlor wrote:
>> Cagliostro, the Grand Copht, I am fairly certain is based on the
>> historical Cagliostro, an alchemist and freemason, the protege of the
>> Comte de Saint-Germain.
>>
>> Could this be Count Germaine? The Comte de Saint-Germain strikes me
> as
>> being ideal for a jyhad treatment, as he claimed to be centuries old,
>> was often seen dining but never eating food, travelled with a casket
>> filled with jewels, and was generally a very mystical fellow. Either
>> he'd be a vampire or one of the 'Immortals' of WoD: Mummies, possibly
>> egyptian, possibly not.
>>
>> If it's Count Germaine... man, his discipline spread is not quite
> what
>> I'd expect. Then again, I'm not sure what I'd expect. Something
> closer
>> to Cagliostro. Or the other way around.
>
> Count Germaine is much more likely represented not by Cagliostro, but
> by this vampire:

I think the question was if the WoD character Count Germaine is intended
to represent the real-world mystic Comte de Saint-Germain. I don't
actually know, but does seem a little unlikely that a spy and alchemist
would focus on CEL FOR POT and beating up Toreador.

I did a little light reading on Comte de Saint-Germain this morning and
didn't find anything about Assault Rifle multi-rush, so it's probably not
the same guy. :)

Matt Morgan

Deqlor wrote:
> Exactly.

Learn to quote.

--Colin McGuigan

>Colin McGuigan wrote:
>Learn to quote.

Wow. Google does me no favors on this, does it?

LSJ wrote:
> "Deqlor" <deqlan@sanguinis.net> wrote in message
> > >Colin McGuigan wrote:
> > >Learn to quote.
> >
> > Wow. Google does me no favors on this, does it?
>
> Try "Reply" under "show options" at the top of the article rather
than
> the "Reply" at the bottom of the article.
>
> --
> LSJ (vtesrepSPAM@TRAPwhite-wolf.com) V:TES Net.Rep (Remove spam trap
to reply).
> V:TES homepage: http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/
> Though effective, appear to be ineffective -- Sun Tzu

Nice. Can't help but think that should be the default. Ah well.

Thanks. It's nice when people offer instruction when they see ignorance.

Matthew T. Morgan wrote:
> On Thu, 7 Apr 2005, John Flournoy wrote:
>

> > Deqlor wrote:
> >> Cagliostro, the Grand Copht, I am fairly certain is based on the
> >> historical Cagliostro, an alchemist and freemason, the protege of
the
> >> Comte de Saint-Germain.
> >>
> >> Could this be Count Germaine? The Comte de Saint-Germain strikes
me
> > as
> >> being ideal for a jyhad treatment, as he claimed to be centuries
old,
> >> was often seen dining but never eating food, travelled with a
casket
> >> filled with jewels, and was generally a very mystical fellow.
Either
> >> he'd be a vampire or one of the 'Immortals' of WoD: Mummies,
possibly
> >> egyptian, possibly not.
> >>
> >> If it's Count Germaine... man, his discipline spread is not quite
> > what
> >> I'd expect. Then again, I'm not sure what I'd expect. Something
> > closer
> >> to Cagliostro. Or the other way around.
> >
> > Count Germaine is much more likely represented not by Cagliostro,
but
> > by this vampire:
>
> I think the question was if the WoD character Count Germaine is
intended
> to represent the real-world mystic Comte de Saint-Germain. I don't
> actually know, but does seem a little unlikely that a spy and
alchemist
> would focus on CEL FOR POT and beating up Toreador.
>
> I did a little light reading on Comte de Saint-Germain this morning
and
> didn't find anything about Assault Rifle multi-rush, so it's probably
not
> the same guy. :)
>
> Matt Morgan

So after a quick look at the KMW book, funnily enough, their Count
Germaine is a rebel agitator under Louis XVI. So close, and yet so far.

> LSJ wrote:
> > Try "Reply" under "show options" at the top of the article rather
> than
> > the "Reply" at the bottom of the article.
> >
> Nice. Can't help but think that should be the default. Ah well.
>
> Thanks. It's nice when people offer instruction when they see ignorance.

No problem.

It may also help to edit out some of the less interesting parts
of the quoted text, too (like signatures, etc.) and leave only
as much context as is necessary to set up your reply.

--
LSJ (vtesrepSPAM@TRAPwhite-wolf.com) V:TES Net.Rep (Remove spam trap to reply).
V:TES homepage: http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/
Though effective, appear to be ineffective -- Sun Tzu

Wes

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2002

"Deqlor" <deqlan@sanguinis.net> wrote

> So after a quick look at the KMW book, funnily enough, their Count
> Germaine is a rebel agitator under Louis XVI. So close, and yet so far.

I couldn't point you to the exact thread, but there was one a few years back
that tried to figure out which of the vampires in the game were based on
historical figures. It was circa Camarilla Edition, if that helps.

Cheers,
WES